Monday, April 3, 2023

16,197. YOU SHOULD SEE

YOU SHOULD SEE
I read the NYTimes again today, sitting
back in a hospital chair. In a waiting room
like this one, there isn't much 'd rather
read  -  some Bloomsbury book, perhaps
or some Pre-Raphaelite blather. At least
when my some needs pumping from bile,
I'd already be where I needed to be.
-
Those are goals along my road to infamy. 
Calumny? Perfidy? Audacity? I don't know,
and who the hell cares? To the side of this
room, another hungry guy is ripping at the
vending machine. They do this, these fine
medical folk. I often get here at, it seems,
their lunch or break times. Also nearby is
a Tom Collichio cafeteria. Pretty fancy for
a Scranton locale.
-
Cat-scratch Fever? Do they still treat that 
here? And need I be wary of that? Now some
old guy comes over and sits by me. This is true.
He's been waiting an hour and is a tad pissed
off. "I don't even know why I'm here today. I
get here an hour early too, Been sitting here
since 10, when they wanted me here for 11;
now is running past noon. God-damn them all.
I'm only here for a kidney check, and they just
did that last month too!"
-
I said maybe he should go to the window and
let them know again he's here. He said "Nah, 
I did that already, but all they said was 'Dr.
Kendall was running behind. Is that yours too?'
I said no, my doctor was Kapp. He said Oh.
-
Then it got funny. He started telling me about
his old age woes, and he said, 'You're still a
young man...you'll see. What are you, in your 
early 60's yet? I said I was 73. He looked funny,
saying, Really? You look like a young man yet.
I said, 'You should see.'

No comments: