Monday, April 10, 2023

16,207. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,383

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,383
(closing out this mess. Arthur, pt. 3)
The Devil is in the details, right? I
really want to be done with details.
While I was standing there with 
the blood streaming to the floor,
they'd wheeled Arthur away for 
some treatment or other, so that
was the end of him, for me. I hope
he makes it. He'd mentioned to me
about some 'service' in Vietnam, but,
being born in 1976 as he was, it didn't
seem right by the date. He was gone,
so I'll never know. Maybe he was all
made-up stories? Hospital roommates? 
I guess it's all and always a crapshoot. 
You never know what you get until 
you get it. Sounds like disease, right?
-
Two short and final things here, and 
then I'll drop the subject. The scene with
the nurses was very strange for me. They
were each very friendly, and talkative.
When I was first rolled up from post-op,
every nurse from the nurse-station I was
rolled past looked up, doing a cursory
glancing at the new arrival. Smiles and
nods and hellos. Then, once in the room,
they began filtering in; mainly there were
4. Judi (or Jodi, I forget), Jenna, and 
Joan, I think it was. I commented about
all the J's. Then the fourth nurse came
in and said her name was Kelly. I said,
'I think I was expecting Jelly.'
-
That was a big joke, and everyone was 
laughing. Arthur was in his spot, but
was curtained off from me, and it stayed
that way. The only two times I saw him
were the two times he was slowly walked
or rolled past me on his ways to other
places.
-
Finally, and most weirdly, three different 
people told me, three different times  -  
and I'll never know why, nor what I looked
like to cause this  -  their comments about
'What a wonderful head of hair' I had. God
only (maybe) knows what they were talking
about and why it was said. I simply smiled,
and said thanks. It was awkward and also
uncomfortable. A weird manner of being
singled out.


No comments: