Thursday, April 20, 2023

16,226. ANYONE CAN FILL THESE SHOES

 ANYONE CAN FILL THESE SHOES
With these merchants of today, and this arrival
of another crummy day : leaves are trying, trees
are no longer gray : I want to do something new.
Maybe buy ice cream for you? How dated and
benign such an act would see. Perhaps the sun
will come out again? Think how nice that could
be. Instead, like a Chancellor on some shallow-step
lawn, I stand her with papers, looking out.
-
The building across from me says 'University 
Arts and Theater Building; building donated
by Henry Capstein Foundation, 1923.' I guess
all that is true, and I won't be checking. We
assume these things are always true. 'Marked 
in granite, carved in stone.'
Look away, look away. Anyone can fill these shoes,
and any day is market day. Here, in the world of
plenty fortunate things happen to many.

No comments: