Saturday, May 30, 2020

12,847. RUDIMENTS, pt.1,070

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,070
(Dad, make a left here...)
I remember getting out of the
seminary pretty good. It was an
early dark, just before Thanksgiving.
My father had come by, I guess
directly from work, by himself,
and got me, probably about 7. I
was ready, at the outside of the
dorm building I'd been in. I can't
remember any baggage, or
packing up things, but I guess
it went that way. The funny
thing now is how I said no
goodbyes or imparted to anyone
the information that I'd be leaving.
Kind of stupid, but there were no
real bonds left anyway. Everyone
had gone in their own directions,
grouping and binding in various
ways  -  of which I really was no
part. It hardly mattered, because
I'd never entered the scene looking
for compatriots anyway. It had
always been about aloneness, for
me. So that didn't matter. My
Father was of little help, and
everything was cursory. It was
also all very bizarre  -  after all
that time, no sign-outs, nothing
finalized, no signatures needed.
Here it had been all this time
me under the tutelage of some
16-20 male adults who ranged
over my every moment, and at
these last moments not even a
tip of the hat or a nod. I always
felt cheated  -  it wasn't any
confidence builder for sure,
unless I viewed it all as a
confidence-game into which
I'd been suckered. At least my
Father wasn't mad. He sometimes
had ways about him that maybe
bordered on anger, but in this
case he was pretty glad to be
pulling me out of there  -  seeing
as he never was much of a mind
about my going there in the first
place. It was all feminine stuff :
Aunts and ladies and all seemed
ever to be the only ones who'd
get excited about the idea  -  like
having a 'priest' in the family
gave them a leg up for Heaven.
Guys and men just sort of made
a grin or a grimace and looked
confused, Like 'Yeah, we know.'
All that way home, I can't recall
that we talked much about anything
except more then the usual 'Well,
here's what you'll be doing now'
stuff about where they'd put me,
since my old room had been given
over to other kids, my sister, first,
and then a brother, as I recall. I got
placed, once back home, into a
small room that had been a 'sewing'
room. It was fine with me  -  bed,
place to be, and a window that 
opened right out to the lower 
roof, and I was able to climb out, 
sit there, facing east; it was as if
I was in my tree house out back
again, from younger days. Being
up off the ground like that I could,
on good days, glimpse the NYC
skyline, and I was above the
trains and all that went by out
back. It was all OK by me. I had
to finish out the miserable senior
high school thing, which meant
registering, telling them how
I'd ended up somewhat in a
pickle. But all I had to do was
coast; I was way ahead in the
credits department, or whatever
they go by, so I basically picked
and chose what I wanted to do
and attend. It still was a constant
battle though because I sure didn't
fit in very well. The old home
turf was alien territory to me,
and the teachers were creeps.
-
My Father then did ask me, 
(finally, I thought), what I
though I'd want to be doing,
(instead of still more of his
decision-making 'you'll be 
doing this, and that' stuff).
At least in that respect it was
nice. I wasn't sure what to say
only because I wasn't sure what
I WAS going to do. The last
thing I needed was to get tied 
to just another stump. The
trouble with kid stuff is the
school system has you by 
the balls, give or take the
varying pressure, for at least
12 years and with that comes
all their layer of trite bullshit
and manuevering to keep you
completely in the dark about 
anything real. So I turned to
him as he drove and calmly
stated, 'Well, Dad, my intentions
are to get the hell out of Dodge
on the first boat out.' No, I
didn't really say that; the poor
guy would have jumped the
divider with the car, at 70mph.
No matter, the situation had me.
The long arm of the law (or as
I was wont to call it, the 'long
dong of the law'), was all on the 
other side  -  his and society's,
amassed already against me  - 
and I pretty much could only 
wait it all out and try and keep 
away from all that vanity crap 
about colleges and all those
places that make genius 
bureaucrats out of irregular 
street rats. By rights, I should
have jumped out of the car
before we got to Woodbridge.
-
My Father was a toll road guy,
and he'd take the Turnpike to
get a loaf of bread, for crying
out loud. Those roads were always
pretty boring; the worst way to
get anywhere  -  straight lines and
little local to see. A person could 
be most anywhere. Like going up 
in  space, in a capsule with no 
windows.  This felt like re-entry
to me. It was  already dark
out, but coming all the way up
from South Jersey on the NJ 
Turnpike was always a good
trip. The south portion was
still all farmland on either side.
Flat and boring, yes, but farmland.
Eventually it gets up to like the
Jamesburg area, and then it all
starts changing  -  after Forsgate
and all, headed north. Way down
by like Exit 4 maybe, there was
this cool radar installation, for
whatever communications they
used to do back then; early and
primitive satellite contacts and 
all. It was, at the southbound
side, this maybe 5-story high
large circular thing, not perfectly
round, just kind of shaped
funny, with flat spot on its
planes  -  it looked round but
it wasn't smooth. A few buildings
were scattered around it, and
some towers and big signs.
Some 'defense' communications
bullshit (Yes, it's always, in
Gov. speak, 'Defense,' never
Offense. No one ever owns up 
to their skanky operations. It's
always got to be the other guy
who's bad.)...That thing was
always fun to see and a highlight
for me, even in daylight. It set
my mind going. All that Mercury
Astronaut stuff, John Glenn and
Gus Grissom and Alan Shepherd.
Space shots and stuff, and all
these radar operation networks
underway. It was funny too, 
because this was the same time,
with the Soviets, that we'd made
a big-ass deal over something
called 'The Hotline.' Yeah,
that was going to save everyone,
and they made a big deal out of it,
like we were morons or something
to believe this. It was a damned
telephone! A red-button phone.
One on the President's desk and
the other (dedicated line) on the
desk in Moscow where their
big guy sat. We were supposed
to feel more secure. One or two
rings, I guess, and Nikita picks up.
'Oh Nikita, just called to tell you,
we've made a mistake. Pressed the
wrong button and right now there
are two nuclear missles headed your
way. Probably about 20 minutes.
OK? Yeah, sure, Ok, but don't
retaliate, OK. It was a mistake.
Regards to the wife. OK. Bye.'
Yeah, that was it back then  -  
as much bullshit and fantasy as 
now, but today people are even 
(if you can believe this) stupider!
-
Boy oh boy! I was just getting 
started. 'Oh, Dad, can you make
a left here, and drop me off at
the nuthouse?'


No comments: