Tuesday, May 26, 2020

12,837. HERE'S THE MATTER WITH....

HERE'S THE MATTER WITH....
Iceball hijinks and I only may be
human : a smattering of things
I can count on ten fingers. Lucky
for that. Learning how that old
guy still smoked Chesterfields
was a surprise. We were leaning on
the bannister, at the State of Liberty
ramp, and the little island wind was
howling. He couldn't get it lit at
all : Muttered 'My old Pall Malls
always lit.' I was taken by that, a
bit anyway. I looked to the farther
field, and I saw the St. James Band
and Highland Marching Troupe
coming our way, and making a
bench of brassy noise. They were
playing some Sousa march, real
nationalistic sounding stuff at any
rate. I turned to him, and said:
'Isn't this a violation of church
and state separation mate?
(I knew they never did that
on Pall Mall...).

No comments: