Monday, May 18, 2020

12,819. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,058

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,058
(what crappy luck had I)
Very many things that I've
lived through I didn't much
take advantage of. Unlike the
sightless blind person who still
knows what he or she is missing,
I was palpably blind to everything.
That's an odd statement, seeing
as how many of the things I've 
written of here for years have
involved deeper and stranger
adventures than usual. But still,
so many other things went right
by me. I turned my back on much 
too. I get the life-tales now of other
people  -  those who went on to
careers and technical and business
matters  -  and I wonder, 'why didn't
I do that?' I was, in my way, fairly
senselessly numb about many things,
yet I always answered a different calling. 
I think all of that grew out of personal
history. Yet, when I think that I then
realize it can't be true. I had those
seminary years of learning and
habit and study, which, really,
most others never got near. When
other people tell me what they were
doing in 8th and 9th grade, etc., I
go wide-eyes and realize that I
was NOT doing such. I think it all
came, instead, from within me, to
be adverse to the usual progressions.
(There was an old 1930's movie  -
taken from book,   -  called 'Anthony
Adverse.' That title always intrigued
me).  Mostly, I was an uncooperative
wretch, bent on mis-shaping things
which were already out-of-shape.
-
In a scientific sense I was a rogue
experiment. I veered too much to
make any sensible outcome come
forth so that other 'scientists' could
see and measure and gauge the result.
The result was' me,' plain and
simple. My father or mother never
had any real input; as I'd traded 
that in for the communal guidance
of those counselors and religious
figures the seminary presented
to me : Old yellow-fingers Father
Edwards, constantly dragging down
one cigarette after the other, even
in the refectory (dining hall) as we
ate and he and others sat above us
on the elevated table. It's funny how
the nicotine-stained finger(s) get
to look. It's the index and middle 
finger of whichever hand holds
the cigarette; the end-skin yellows,
and the yellow discoloration then
manages to seep into the pulp of
the nail, discoloring the fingernails
in an equally weird yellow. It
was always the most strange thing 
to me, seeing that near-permanent
discoloration, wondering if they
knew of it, or what they thought
about it. I also wondered if there
were switch-smokers  - like lefties
who smoked with the right hand
and vice-versa.
-
Then there was Father Jude. I forget
the last name, but I can find it easy
enough. Father Edward's was 
'DeBruin,' as I recall. (Jude's was
'Weisenbeck)'  -  the last names of
all these characters became a sideline
of mine. I also wondered about all
the names they took, if they were
real first names, or just religious,
adopted names. When you're 14 and 
pretty bored, oddball things become
important. When I'd first arrived there,
at age 12, I was an empty, hollow,
shell of a self, by any of the real
standards of what people went by.
My other Avenel guy, older than me
and already having been there a few 
years, was named David Shershen.
He lived on Avenel Street, and his
father had the house and barber-shop
combo thing. It's gone now, replaced
by a small apartment dwelling, and
right next door is now Dominic's
Restaurant, which, back then, was 
sleazy 'candy' store, with pool tables
in the rear room. Frankly, it was
known as a place where girls were
readily available; it was even called
'Dirty John's.' I guess it meant
women. It guess it even meant
sexual favors for money. Don't know.
As a youngster, I'd only snooped
around there once or three times
with friends, eyes and ears attuned
to what we could see, and what pool
rooms were all about. Never really 
saw too much. People sit there now
and eat their veal parmigiana and
spaghetti, and I guess steaks and
chops too, and don't figure a thing
about it. The opening area, at the
rear, now used for groups and 
receptions and repasts and such, 
after you walk through the main
dining part, was where the pool tables
were, needing the wider space, etc.
David, at his father's house and
barber shop, lived next door. He never
talked much, and after 4 years of
seminary he too graduated and washed
out, and the entire family, dad, mom,
and a sister too, all moved away, off
to New Hampshire somewhere. After
that they tore the old house and barber
shop down and built the apartments.
Too bad; another small piece of charm,
even back then, taken away. It was a
nice house too, set back from the 
sidewalk some, a few steps us, and, 
over at the left, the nicely glassed 
barber shop windows. Guys were
always in there, getting snipped and
talking away. I used to wonder, with
the girl rumors next door, how much
those guys knew and what they did.
Guys getting their hair cut, back then,
were always older men. Oddly enough,
all you see today are stupid man-dens
and clip-joints for young guys with all
those constant-maintenance and highly
structured haircuts. Funny how the 
world has flipped  -  no girls around 
there now, unless you count the boys
in the barber chairs with their fussy
do's. It's amazing when I think how
Avenel has changed. And boys too.
-
Natural-born killers. Predators.
Evildoers always scheming. That
was us, growing up. There wasn't
anything angelic about us and I don't
know how I screwed it up by going
seminary, like other people go postal.
That, and the train wreck before that,
were obviously defining moments of
my stupid life. I lost all reference points
with the normal run of things and it
stayed that way. I was in a small section
of crazy, creepy kids. Bicycle majorettes.
Taking it out on each other in macadam
covered streets we thought were fine
football fields. Bashed heads and
broken eyelids were nothing to us.
(Whoa! Is there even such a thing as
a broken eyelid?).








No comments: