Wednesday, May 20, 2020

12,822. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,059

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,059
(going to the dogs)
I used to wonder about things
which I now realize weren't
really important to me at all.
I was over-reaching maybe;
like trying to show how
'smart' I could be. My mother
had this thing about being
social, like housewives back
then used to do. Women mostly
stayed at home, and I'm sure
it got boring. Over the years
of my youth, young years,
there'd be coffee meetings,
neighbor ladies would come
over, she'd go there, visits
were exchanged and all that.
It seemed super-boring, since
mostly all they did was talk;
chatter incessantly; about what,
I never knew. I was young,
Summer was on, and that was
all I needed to know. These
extra ladies being around
were just weird. Everyone
seemed to live in the same
sort of house  -  the only
difference was, like, where
'your' dormers were located, on
the upstairs level. The houses
had, meaninglessly, offered
three choices! Left, right, and
center. Now there's some real
Americana freedom! The sameness 
was funny, and people seemed to 
grab  onto whatever little factor of 
differentiation  they could, to claim
their 'own' space. To my own father, 
it was fences, and sheds. Dogwood
trees too, planted out back. I figured
inside each house these ladies
all dealt with the same deal.
Maybe the ladies talked about
their husbands, or their kids.
Who knew? I never heard any
exchange of recipes, or any sort
of utilitarian talk. I remember,
one time, just sitting in the front
room, I guess it was like a 1:30
afternoon game, watching the
baseball All Star game. Probably
like 1959 or 1960. Eddie Matthews,
Stan Musial, Ted Kluzewski,
probably Mantle and Maris too.
Warren Spahn; that whole era. The
ladies never stopped a beat. One
of them, I used to call 'Aunt Betty,'
stuck her head in to ask me how I
was and what I was watching; I
thought that was pretty neat. But
other than that, there wasn't anything
with these housewives. That was
about the same time people all
began getting backyard pools too,
and then it all went outside. Even
worse. I remember one time, there
were a group of girls, maybe 11
year olds, my sister's friends, in
the pool together and the ladies
began critiquing each of the girls -
'still has baby fat,' 'will develop
nicely' 'wide in the hips' 'cute.' I
was flabbergasted by the idea of
learning what to look for, based
on what I heard. Budding breasts
and all the rest. Cool enough for
me. I had, at this point yet, no
idea about what actually went on,
but it all got me thinking; and that
thinking stretched itself into fond
memories, later, when I was stuck
in my relatively sexually-pathetic,
by contrast, 'boy's school.' Man!
What I was missing!
-
I think what a lot of this was, to
me, was a great levelling  -  all
sorts of different people, different
nationalities (curiously enough,
by today's standards, no blacks
or Asians or any other notable
minorities), all doing, for some
crackerjack and bizarre reason, 
the same things. I guess a lot of
it was economic. But, at the
same time, the great paucity of
any higher culture was striking.
You all might laugh reading this,
and think its crazy for me, as a
youngster, to go on about being
aware of all this crap, but I was,
by those standards, a fairly sharp
cracker, even as a kid, and I did
take note of lots. I used to go
to the little dipshit 50x65 foot
library and take out plenty of
books and stuff above my grade; 
poetry, writing, and history and
bio stuff. This was about the time of
'Self-Portrait In a Convex Mirror,'
by John Ashbery. Stuff like that,
and Berryman and Ferlinghetti,
all used to wipe me out. Those
little New Directions paperworks
became my touchstone for 'real'
life and being. I left the baby stuff
behind when Sputnik was still
flying dogs. Who mostly returned
dead. Which also pissed me off.
-
All I ever did end up wanting to do
was to run off. Leave that crummy
tramp-dust place so far behind.
-
Sometimes I'd go on up to the
end of the street, at the trailer 
court, on my bicycle, just to
stare at the cars going northward,
18, 20 miles, whatever it was,
to NYC. In my mind that was
the only place they were all
going  -  and every one of them
was half-famous, brainy, hip,
smart, sexy, loving, wild, wise,
and unkempt. Every car held
a story within. As I said, this
was in my mind. I never even
gave a thought to those who were
maybe on the way to a laundromat
in Linden, or some slum-hovel
holding them hostage by means,
in Newark. Nope. I had a sunny
and a golden view of MY world
only. Goes to show.
-
I romanticized everything. My
equivalent of living on Tobacco
Road was living athwart the NYC 
railroad tracks and highway. The
trains held my head hostage too.
The more I got into them later,
back and forth to NYC, on  my
own whims and volition, I saw
what a power of freedom and 
travel a small dumb opportunity
like that afforded. For those
who did not live on railroad
tracks I only had pity. The train
station, at the end of my block,
was gold! And I had a pass to
that world. It was just like
running away, but easier. 85
cents, to the conductor, and
no questions asked. That was a
long time ago, as you can tell 
by the price. But that 85 got 
me in. I was often breathless,
and speechless too, coming up
out of that last, dark tunnel when
the train comes up from under
the Hudson and the great, open
train yards of Pennsylvania
Station were there! Up ahead
was open sky. It was all open
train-yards then; none of that
sick fancy-assed real estate
encroachment like now. New
Yorker real estate Jews are so
full of shit. They're always
touting everything, all their
false materialism and false
class-status crap. At heart, 
they're all desert-peasants,
from wherever they believe
their 'origination' to be. Mostly
Kiev-Rus, but they'll never
own up to that  -  they pretend
Semitic bloodlines and take 
over the Middle East, where
three other religions are always
trying to take over, with their
own claims. No wonder it's
always been such a fake, bloody,
mess. The newest things there
fools did was 'Hudson Yards,'
some big, awful shopping and
touristing mecca of crap (like
the way I snuck Muslim 'Mecca'
in there?)  -  the flashy, loud
anchor store is a million dollar
Nieman-Marcus. What's the
first thing it does,7 months
later? Go into Chapter 11!
-
I never liked bullshit or pretense
or fakery of false claims or the
bravado of business; but these
local claimants to God's favor
sure got NYC sewn up. No
wonder it's going to the dogs.
(Without my help).






No comments: