Saturday, May 9, 2020

12,800. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,049

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,049
(old avenel, I guess)
I always had gotten a kick out 
of the word 'sundries,' used in
stores and such. I think it meant
like little woven things, cloth
stuff, handkerchiefs and socks
and junk. Seemed like it anyway.
Nowadays all I'd have to do 
would be to look it up, but
that takes some of the fun 
away. Old Mrs. Kuzmiak,
over by the school, near the 
end of where I lived, she had
a sundries shop. After her
husband died she ran it alone
for many years. When we first
moved there, my mother shopped 
at it now and then, and I went
in too. It wasn't much, in fact for
a boy it was downright boring.
Little glass cases, in narrow rows,
some open and others not. All
these silly little cloth things
were laid in order, priced and
arrayed. Baby bibs, kerchiefs,
gloves and mittens; like I
said, woven stuff, nothing of 
a boy's interest at all. Boys
weave tales. That was the
difference, for me. She had
these weird, yellowish sunshades
over a few small windows, and 
they let in  like an ochre light, 
which in itself was either weird 
or eerie. I couldn't ever tell. She
was already an older lady. Most
of the Moms and women I knew
were still young, mid 20's say.
Al us kids who'd just moved in,
all we ever saw was more kids,
new babies and infants cluttering
things up. I guess all that was 
good for Mrs. Kuzmiak, and her
business, but, really, she was
old-line Avenel and probably 
knew the place from the 1920's.
We all knew nothing of that. What's
a kid supposed to know anyway,
getting plopped into some distant
town from where they were born,
in brand-new little houses. There's
no way a child could learn or
have knowledge of any old past,
and as far as I ever saw Mrs.
Kuzmiak wasn't talking much.
About it, anyway. She never 
talked, it seemed, to kids, though
she talked well enough to the
Moms who came in for stuff,
but it was mostly business.
In fact, outside of her church
connections, she probably 
never ran into them again. 
My mother got to know her
from church  -  Sodality and
all those ladies' groups they had.
But otherwise she was pretty
much a nobody, in real-world
terms, to any of the newcomers.
There was a big turnover going
on, and I'm not sure she got it.
All the homes behind her store,
on Fifth and Park and Madison,
(imagine those mimicy New
York names in a dump like
Avenel?) were older homes,
even if they were just 1920's
bungalows and small-frame
jobs, and they'd been her and
her husband's real clientele for
probably 30 years. Whatever we
represented to her, it couldn't
have been much. She was old,
and soon enough all those new 
highway strip-stores and new
malls and department stores
were wiping her business away 
anyway. Nowadays she'd have
been shoplifted blind anyway,
not that a thief wants socks or
knit-gloves, but all that open
stock, for the taking, would 
have been too much. It would
be a practice run. Six people in
the place was a lot; and it was
long and deep, narrow enough so
that all an accomplice had to do
was keep her busy down one
end, with questions or samples,
anything stupid, and the other
person could rob from the other
end like there was no tomorrow.
Craziest set-up back in those
old days. But, it wasn't like
petty crime played any part
in Avenel. There were plenty
of bigger crimes underway  -  
all anyone had to do was get
themselves elected to be 
involved. The mayonnaise 
dwarfed the sandwich.
-
I mentioned before, 'Sodality.'
That was, I think, some church
ladies group over at St. Andrew's
that my mother got involved with.
As a kid, I never got the name, 
what it meant or anything. And
then, about 1980, when all the Lech 
Walesa and Polish uprising stuff
took place, I used to chuckle
about how it so much resembled 
the name of their rebel worker's 
movement : Solidarity.
-
Mrs. Kuzmiak, as it turned out,
ended up just being a crank. She
once go my mother all riled up
by asking her about me. 'What
happened to Gary?' Meaning
'Why did the little seminary boy
get so lost? Whatever happened
to turn him into what he now 
is?'' My mother took it as a real 
offense,  meaning how and why 
did she lose such control over 
me? I had to hear about it a long 
time, and all thanks to that crusty,
dead-mind of Mrs. Kuzmiak, the
town's local merchant of woven
goods. My mother took it all upon
herself, and went crazy with
embarrassment and grief over
being singled out like that, 
because of me. I said, 'Mom
get over it. What's she know?'
And it was true too. What did
she know? Not much of anything
except the old and the tired.
She didn't even know how,
about 1959, some lecherous,
odd-looking guy used to lurk,
right out in front of her store,
and show all us lunchtime kids
from the school across the street,
playing cards with all sorts of
naked ladies and dirty sex pictures
on the back. The entire deck. 
Undressed babes, sexual
positions. One time he even 
said, to Jim Yacullo and me,
'Look at that! She's got the whole
thing in her mouth!' We had
no clue what in the heck he 
was getting at, never realizing
'that' as a dessert. But this
lecherous guy, time after time,
was drooling over it. I suppose,
today, someone would have
squealed on him and he'd have
been hauled away as a major
sex-pervert. Old Avenel,
I guess.
-
There were, then, at any one
time, so many conflicting layers
of time and memory within Avenel. 
There was some car-club guys, the
Royal-Knights or somesuch gibberish,
who would sit out nightly at the
school-wall, on Avenel Street,
which wall once seemed 4 or 5 feet
high but is now, in reality, perhaps
 2 feet at most. I guess they were
all about the 'James Dean 18'
age. Hair back then was in a
'ducktail' if totally cool; upswept,
slick. There was plenty of that.
A a few pointy-breasted girls too;
they were usually hanging around,
and I'll admit to never really
'noticing' their finer points (that's
a wordplay) until after that older
man dirty-pictures guy got us
noticing the fairer sex. I don't know
if they bought their pointy-bras
at Mrs. Kuzmiak's or not, but I'd
bet she had some dirt on each
one of them. The suave car guys,
momentary idols for about one
Summer, had '56 Fords, and
'58 Chevies (very new then,
actually), and besides that, they'd
have the car-club plaque hanging 
beneath the rear license plate. The 
cars were most often tinkered with 
and lowered too, at the rear, to the
point where the real 'science' was
in getting low enough, just so,
so that the car-club plaque
didn't scrape.
-
Old Avenel Street, with that sundried
sundries store, was sure then
something else indeed. 




No comments: