Wednesday, May 6, 2020

12,790. RUDIMENTS, pt.1,046

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,046
(pick the hanging fruit)
My imagination was never
the problem. I could mostly
go anywhere with it. Once
I hit the streets of NYC that
came in handy, because there
were plenty of times when I
sort of had to make things
up on the fly  -  what people
now call 'backstories.' I
had to always keep in
mind that I was nothing
and had come from nowhere.
Sometimes that was good,
and sometimes it wasn't.
As a writer soon enough
learns, in order to fully
get something across, you
have to flesh out the details;
you can't just say something
and them drop it. It needs to
be detailed and added to; if
it means a specific episode or
detail needs to be brought
in, then you do it. It was
like that for me.
-
In addition, and after NYC,
when I hit in with those
cow-punchers in Pennsylvania
a little bit later, I had to be
mindful of all that but in the
opposite direction, weirdly
enough. I've told these tales
here before; it was all acting  
-  I had to take on whatever
characteristics I could muster
of being a country hick, a rube
straight out of L'il Abner.
Any slip-up there could have
screwed up that entire episode.
Had I ever really been found as a
castaway NYC agitator outsider, 
fighting some crazy system
they'd never understand, any
sort of problem could have arisen.
One of the funnier things, even
when I first staked out to there
for looking at properties and
places, no one ever asked
about my past, or present, or
who I was or was coming
from. They took it all on
the face value of what I
presented. The presence of
my father, whom I'd brought
along for the real estate details
and his strange bargaining
power (what he loved calling,
'horse trading'), was very helpful;
for his version of me, and one he
was always happy and willing to
put forth, was some sort of dream
story of his crazy, suburban son
who wanted to get away and live
rough, get back to nature and
not be 'suburban.' He fortunately
left out any of the ragged tail-ends
of NYC, my and his running
conflicts, my activities and
contrarian opinions, etc. So, at
least on that front I was given
free passage  - but I didn't want
to sacrifice that, once I lived
there, with any negatives or
opposition to status-quo boring
and ordinary stuff; let alone the
Vietnam War, for which prime
and hearty farm boys took their
first steps at about age 15. This
was gung-ho warrior country. I
wasn't about to stand in anyone's
way. I heard too many stories up
there, in a short first few months,
of the venomous things that
happened  -  interpersonal stuff,
between guys, over wives or
women; being tarred, feathered,
greased and burned seemed the
most likely end for me if my
story veered wrongly.
-
As I said, that was the opposite
of the NYC version of things.
To them, my suburban upbringing
mostly represented stupidity,
enclosure, mental confinement,
parochialism, and the like. I
sometimes wanted to find myself
punching right back, berating
their chauvanism, their New York
centric effete bullshit, their equally
dumb ethnic confines, traditional
heritages of Jewish and Italian,
Greek, Slovakian, Asian and the
rest, strict cultures. What was
so enlightening about any of that
that made it better than the
crude-lines of mixtures and
mutts along Inman Avenue,
where I'd been brought up? I
knew I could match them, one to
one, on any matter of the stupid
and the traditional, the ethnic and
the strict. At least in New Jersey
the bloodlines and ethnicities had
been entirely mixed, as any of the
local streets of town could attest.
Here, where they lived, much of it
was still separate, with ethnic 
enclaves ghettoized. What was so
great about any of that, I wondered.
The only way, I'd admit, that NY had
it bested  -  and by a long shot  -
was culturally: Arts; learning;
educational venues, cultural
things, museums, recitals, and
that sort of rich-blood crud
that we just had not had. As it
went, any of the real New Yorkers
I'd meet never realized how they
too looked to outsiders. It went
both ways. They seemed sequestered,
coarse, without any real references to
how things actually 'were' out in the
world of travel, parking lots, lawns
and houses, single-story schools
and green fields. Don't get me
wrong, I grasped their point, but, 
yes, at the same time, I knew that
their own, myopic, pride about
themselves made them somewhat
annoying in their self-representation.
Tiresome and encumbering too.
I owed them nothing.
-
Difficult tasks, all this. I was in a sort
of urban subsistence living, for me
without much of a hope, and without
any promise, of better things to come.
That was, in many ways, the big
difference between myself and the
Studio School I was amongst. They
all had better endings already in
the cards : the legacy-family
endowments, the trickle of old
money, the ease of richness and
better living. Those were the
enticements I never possessed and
with which they lived. The upper
east side was a curious trek, for me.
For so many of them, it was another
home call; perhaps along with their
family's New Hampshire Summer 
cottage. Good fortune, always 
dangling before them. Like with a
biblical fig tree, all they had to do
was reach and pick the hanging fruit.
-
To any of that, I tried paying as
little attention as I could. But my
handicap was in the lack of any
of those-such graces. Wendy 
Spinner, at the Studio School, and her
boyfriend, Peter Serkin, represented
riches and wonder to me. We'd sit
around and I'd just be captivated.
(Sad to say, within this last  year,
pianist Peter Serkin, son of famed
Rudolph Serkin, and equally 
famous in his own career, died).
These were the days of Peter's
long, blondish, straight, 1960's
hair. I remember how, as we'd be
sitting around in the front lobby,
he'd sit on the floor, waiting for,
or with, Wendy, and his straight,
piano-recital posture back, would
be right up against the wall. No
slouch indeed. The two of them,
together were great. I knew them,
yes, but wished now I'd known
them better. New York
or not NY.


No comments: