Wednesday, May 13, 2020

12,807. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,053

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,053
(new blood and little else)
I was a small kid when I
lived there, but the Kill Van
Kull, at the Bayonne Bridge,
still in so many ways remains 
more of a mental home to me
that does the piss-attitudes
of Woodbridge and Avenel.
I wish I had my life to live
over  -  I'd never leave that
oily waterway, and my dog
would never die. Go figure.
I'd see  across the waterway,
which wasn't really so wide,
and which  -  back in those
days  -  was dark and, yes,
oily, and busy and stern. Those
each are mostly qualities long
gone now. Any 'waterway'
place now  -  Perth Amboy or
Sewaren, locally, are filled with
stuffed-shirt jokes of people,
lights, paving-brick walkways,
and anything old or interested
has been torn down and taken
away. Right across, what I would
see, were some operations, mostly
still there, that combined tugboat
yards, maintenance, storage and
burial too  -  dead tugs, decaying
while they floated in place. The
single lightbulbs in each one 
seemed always to be one, like a
theatre stage ghost light. (In a
theater, Broadway anyway, a
ghost light goes on as soon as
the house clears out after a
performance. Every theater, it
is said, is inhabited by a ghost.
The light keeps the ghost company,
or acts as an offering to keep away
curses, or illuminates the stage
as a spectral performer plays all
night.)  -  if any of those effete
theater geeks can believe that
crap think what I had in mind
about old, dead tugboats. Ghosts
indeed, and the watery kind. Deep,
dark, brooding. There always has
been a world of difference between
theater and real work. This just
proves the difference. 
-
The edge of the water there at
Bayonne is a simple challenge.
A real-world endeavor to witness
the work of what used to pass for
necessary work, but which now,
just as often, floats boats in filled
with Walmart crap and plastic toys
from China. Seen it all. I stand there
in these times and can only think
back to being 4. I told you I don't 
exist here anymore. I can't; this
modern day to me is unreal.
I live backwards, poorly.
-
My first few years were spent
in apartment projects right there. At
the very face of the waterway. War
guys, just recently home again
and trying to get started with wives
and families; they were all still
squirmy with their own memories
and eyewitness nightmares of
Europe and the South Pacific - the
kind of junk they started making
movies about, but which to these
guys were still daggers stuck in
a gut. Romance and frolic? 
Excluded.
-
The water was a crisp king of
night-black, like show-polish and
varnish. It moved in slight surges,
not waves, thought it looked like a
wide, uniform, wave of movement
beneath a dark, starry sky. And the
Bayonne Bridge, right above it all,
hummed with its strange car-traffic
of hump-backed beasts or funny
rectangles on wheels. In 1949,
I'm told, some people still drove
old Flivvers around; before cars
began taking on style and shape.
The sounds were different, as were
the lights. And the people. There
was an amusement park promenade
all along that area back then  -  it's
ALL gone now, with nary a trace  - 
and people walked it, all night, it
seemed. A disjointed nervousness,
courtship, hand-holding and kissing.
Sweet nothings. People were still
learning, trying to set the new limits
for themselves in the new-limits
aftermath of WWII. There was a lot
at stake; for these guys and women.
Picking up pieces and starting new
lives  -  Did I want this person, for
all the rest of my days? Am I ready?
-
For myself, many of my aunts and
uncles lived right near-around too. 
Everyone was 'Bayonne' people,
back then, before they all got
scattered to other Jersey towns. 
It was like a small, foreign land, in
its way, butted up against others: 
Jersey City, Kearney, and, at the 
water, New York, and Staten
Island. It was funny, when I later 
learned how, way back when, the
1700's, late, or whenever, a sailboat 
race around and along that very
Kill Van Kull was what determined
Staten Island's fate. New Jersey 
lost the race, and New York got 
Staten Island. Right where I lived, 
in fact, the land there had once 
been a grand resort, with ferries, 
steamboats, and other watercraft 
bringing day-trippers over from 
lower Manhattan for their grand 
days out in the fine New Jersey
freshness. Back then it was known 
far and wide as 'La Tourette's Hotel
and Mansion.' Games, sailboats,
swimming, play. Later, the chemical
family, the Duponts, bought it. It was
a fine estate for many years, before
or after. I really forget. I think it all
eventually 'burned.' Which really just
meant 'other' interests wanted the
property for 'other' things. During
WWII, also, just up the street, the
Maidenform or Playtex, one of them,
factory was taken over and used for
housing interned German prisoners.
I guess prisoners of war? Though there
was not really any ground action here;
so maybe just suspected Nazi spies 
and sympathizers. No one ever told 
me from that angle, and all my 
information-kin from those days 
now are dead. I much later learned
about something called 'Tourette's
Syndrome.' Without the 'La.' It's when
a person is uncontrollably foul, cursing
and shouting oat oaths and profanities.
I chuckle when I think about what
could be done with that now.
-
So anyway, what else does a person
take from early life? Well, probably
everything or nothing, and what  was
weird about mine was how it all
got interrupted and re-started by my
getting trounced by a train and along
stretch of out-of-this-world coma time.
I still held onto my previous ideas,
I guess, or I sure wouldn't be writing
about Bayonne, but they all were
re-set, or started over, and were each
re-packed with 'other' information.
my trailing lineage was new blood,
and little else. When I get back
there now  -  however  -  I can't
see a thing of what I 'remember.'





No comments: