Monday, May 11, 2020

12,804. RUDIMENTS, pt.1,051

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,051
(a million things to ask...)
Well, today dawned dark and
crummy again. I'm not much
featuring any longer an extended
May of crummy weather. No
longer knowing what to do. Old,
like 'old as the hills' kind of stuff,
now. I can't really 'react', since  -
except internally  -  I'm not missing
anything. It all goes on, fretfully,
without me. But, nonetheless, I
feel good. Even early in a 'good'
day, a person can sense benevolent
and satisfactory feelings. It has
something to do with getting
things done. In fact, I notice now
that if a person just takes the
specific 'time' to observe and
undertake a task, to completion,
even if it's the simplest of things,
the sense of completion accounts
for a lot of goodness. A feeling
of accomplishment without
cross-examination or begrudging.
'Sure am glad I cleaned off those
shelves this morning, and made
order out of chaos.' As simple as
any of that sounds, it's really
important.
-
I'm pretty sure that's how early
Humankind settled across this
Earth  -  with the simplest of
means and the simplest of
motives : 'I'll just keep chipping
at this piece of rock with this
shaft (wonder what's this made
of?), until it gets into the shape
I want it.' They stayed on task,
unless maybe a vicious something
came after them (the invention
(or is that 'discovery?') of hunting,
when it initially was actually
self-defense). [Here, Marian, have
a piece of this saber-toothed tiger 
I killed. it was coming after me, with 
those big, flashy teeth!].That's where
the best and the most self-satisfaction
comes from. Another thing I notice:
When I was young I used to feel
the need to have an opinion about
every little thing. Now I don't.
I have lots of opinions, yes, (and
you as reader would, I'm sure, be
the first to affirm that), but there
are now more things about which I
have no opinion at all, than things
I do. Mainly because, at this late
stage of my own Titanic nearing
the iceberg, I find most things
downright distasteful, unsound,
without any knowledge or learning,
based on nothing, lies, twisted in
meaning, and a travesty of the
best of what once was. What
passes today for knowledge and
thought would not have entered
a keyhole back when.
-
One of the things I always
noticed about the old guys I
mentioned in a previous chapter,
always steady at work along the
west side, doing their mechanics
or repairs or maintenance, was that
they little cared for anything else.
While they were doing the day-work
that kept their lives together, they
cared little else about other things.
Certainly they weren't anything
like today's blowhard mouthpieces;
people who go spouting off about
the Middle East or Politics or the
Economy or the diverging manners
of the social world.  They did their
one thing, mostly, and did it right.
Little-caring were they for anything
else. A cigarette maybe, a half-jigger
of smooth bourbon. None of that
stuff like today wherein half-brains
are all over the place; selling finance
and securities, going to gyms and
dance halls, 'painting' as if they
were Sunday artists, taking up
boating, traveling the waves to
the posh shoreline places they all
go, bumping in as rock stars or
eminences where they go. You
pile all that crap on the the back
of ONE horse, and even the
best horse isn't going to take
it, won't carry the load, will
buckle. You cannot do ten things
well; must pick one or maybe
two, and find the satisfactions
that come from that. Jacks of
all trades are usually jack-offs.
-
So, when I feel good about
something it's usually simply
because I've gotten it done.
The list of unfinished deeds
grows longer as I grow, as it
were, shorter, and there's no 
beating that rap. It's a sad and
slow disaster just waiting to
unfold. Lots of things will be
left undone and unsorted; and 
there's nothing I can do about
that. My friend, Freddie Fox,
along with his Dad, used to have
a really cool, small garage and
repair shop  -  this one in Rahway,
like 50 feet off busy Route One.
He, they both, were those sorts
I'm speaking of  -  Freddie had
some totally weird dedication
to his work. His father, in his
70's then, just sat around and
didn't do that much anymore. His
contribution was his presence.
Car wisdom. A font of tap-able
memories and experience. I
used to go there, in fact my
Jaguar came from there. I
used to be driving around in 
a Renault 4CV that I'd gotten
for free from 90 or 92 Avenel
Street, I can't remember. It was 
out at the curb with a sign
for the junkyard guy on it. He
was supposed to be coming to
pick it up. I went to the door and
asked, instead, if I could have it.
The nice guy said 'Sure, go ahead,
here it's yours. Title and all.' I
got it home to the yard at 116
Inman. All it needed was a timing
wheel, the center one. It was a
fiber wheel that had gotten
worn down. I went to Chandler
Motors, in Linden, and made the
order and purchase and changed
the gear wheel and got probably
8,000 miles on the car. Freddie
one day says to me, 'What are
you driving a little piss-pot like
that for? Let me show you a real
car.' He had a divorce-case Jaguar
in the rear, and said the lady was
heaving out everything her husband 
had ever owned. She wanted but 300
bucks for this Jag! Freddie promised,
to fix it up, AND make me a tuned
dual exhaust for it, for 500, total. I bit,
and in two weeks I had the coolest
car around, and I don't think Freddie
has stopped for a moment, except to
eat and sleep, until it was done. He
thought it was the coolest thing in
the world that I took that car; he
promised to maintain it and make
sure nothing was foul. 
-
Point I'm making? Freddie's most
cool dedication to task at hand.
Like all the NY guys too. It taught
me a gusher-full of things. How
to stay happy even when things
are miserable. How to stay on task,
How to do good work. How NOT 
to blow off stupid opinions about
things unknown. It was good,
all-around. The only thing Freddie,
as it turned out, was unable to do
was stop the State DOT from
changing the highway, building
new ramps and roads there, putting
up a municipal incinerator and
roadway, and destroy his land
and building. He was gone in a 
weekend. I never really knew
what happened, or to his Dad
either, but I heard later they were
down in Jackson somewhere, and
old Dad had passed on to the great,
dedicated mechanic shed in the sky.
Too bad. There were a million
thing's I'd have loved to ask him.




No comments: