Thursday, May 21, 2020

12,825. RUDIMENTS, pt 1,060

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,060
(interesting, interconnected adventures)
At one point I had an
arty friend, in Woodbridge,
who lived on the street
behind the Barron Arts
Center. There were about 
8 kids in this house, and
a mother. I never knew
about the father, or even
the rest of the family, for
that matter. It's a long
story, but Dave  - the
last name was McGrath  -  
started working at St.
George Press, where I'd
already been working for 
some 5 or more years.
He'd gotten hired in as an
artist, which he was. His
useful skills for the sort
of 'graphic' art needed for
the job, however, just were
not good, and before long
storm clouds were brewing.
By this time we'd become
friends, I was feeling bad
over what I saw was about 
to happen (his being fired).
Just at that time, as well,
one of my customers, also
arty, but way commercial,
and also personable to me
and we got on well, was
Sanford Werfel Studios.
They operated, on Avenel
Street, in the old Stanziola
Coat Factory, which I'd known
from growing up and playing
baseball, etc. with 'Frankie.'
His father owned the place.
This art fellows name was 
'Sandy,' and along with his
wife, Rita, they had a nice
Jewish Fund-Raising business
going, for temples and hospitals
and all that. Their thing was
'Tree of Life' wall sculptures,
on which each donor purchased
an engraved, brass 'leaf','
inscribed with whatever name
or date or message they wished.
The whole contraption was
installed in and on lobby walls,
vestibules, central rooms, etc.
It doesn't sound like much, but
they're everywhere and I guarantee
you've seen one somewhere. The
'art' here was in drafting the design,
drawing the tree, having the leaves
cut, forging the installation, etc.
Tedious, plantful work. Anyway,
I went there and pleaded Dave's 
case, and he got hired there; making
his release from St. George Press
at last a salvageable, lateral move.
He lasted there a decent enough
time, so I guess it worked out,
but I don't really know. Dave, as
an artist, was a colorist  -  fanciful
and elaborate paintings, oddball
subject matter, large canvases. He
thought like an artist, as I did; and
much like me we both realized that 
the 'business world' really had no
place, nor use, for us. We were out
of step, no matter what. It was OK,
and we just laughed it off.
-
Dave may have been an artist, 
but he sure was no mechanic. He
drove maybe a '72, or '75 Valiant;
I can't actually remember. It was
pretty helpless, but it ran. I guess
it was the standard slant-6 engine,
a usually bulletproof powerplant.
He went up to some place out past
the old Kittatiny Arsenal, along
Rt. 287 somewhere, to see some
girl he knew. We never got there.
Somewhere along the way, on an
off-ramp, deep into the wilds out 
there past Morristown, the engine 
seized. A total lock-up that stopped 
the car dead, or so it seemed. Not 
a stitch of oil was in it. I said, 'Nice
work. Dave.' And then I went on to
explain the finer points of engines
and engine lubrication, in its small
details, to him. We got some oil,
walked back to the car, which in
the interim, I guess, had cooled 
down and loosened up, or enough
at least to bang and clatter us back
a few miles, newly loaded up with
oil, to a place called Mt. Tabor,
where Dave swore he knew a
British family who'd help us,
which meant feed us, take us
in for the night, and generally
aid and assist us. With me were
Kathy (wife) and our 12 year old
son; who was enjoying all this,
immensely. The car was by then
a smoking mess; which we parked
at the entrance to Mt. Tabor  -  
which is a hilly community, and
strangely vertical, with an old,
ratty Gulf Station at the base.
Long gone now. This was late
already on a Saturday; it was
all closed. We left the car and
walked up the hill.
-
The nice British family, when we
knocked, greeted all 4 of us warmly,
invited us in, were happy to see Dave,
etc. I should add, it was also v-e-r-y
hot out, like 95. The large house had
no air conditioning. Dave got a
couch or a bed, and we were taken
upstairs, to an attic loft, with some
bedding strewn on the floor. (Myself,
Kathy, and Jay). It was late by then,
after some food and wine, and talk,
and dark. The 95 degrees, of the day,
in that attic space, overnight, had
become like a very-dead 130. It was
unbearable. But we managed. (There
were a number of years, and this was in
them, when I was asthmatic, although
I never visited a doctor to have it
diagnosed. The unbearable heat, by
this time, seized up my lungs. I was
nearly unable to breath. In times like
that what used to keep me alive was
some crappy over-the-counter inhaler
think 'Primateen Mist'  -  which was
eventually taken off the market  -  and
that night I think I must have sprayed
a near half a bottle into my nastfied
lungs. Though I survived, I never
knew how). In about 15 years,
somehow, and I never knew how,
that either,  all of that asthmatic 
stuff simply disappeared out of my 
life and now I almost) can breath 
like an alpine skier).
-
The next morning, the Brits gave us
breakfast, and in a grand manner!
Their style of breakfast was canned
tomatoes, stewed tomatoes I guess,
over toast; tea and coffee, and
some pastries. It was pretty cool.
Dave's 'girl' friend from Kittatinny
came and picked us up by 11, and
took us all back to Woodbridge in
some fine car she had. We tried the
Gulf station again on the way out,
explaining the deal to the two
Spanish guys, but they said 'No,
no. No fix.' Their claim was that
the car was shot, and they were
probably right. We left it there,
and, frankly, I can't recall what
came of that car or if Dave had
to have taken away from there,
or any of that.
-
Now, for the connection: 15 years
later, at my ABATE office in
Metuchen (719 Main St., though
it looks all different now) in my
Biker years, I was often involved
with outlaw clubs and issues. The
Pagans were a Jersey outfit of
seriously rough guys. My group
was mostly out of Elizabeth and
area, 'Ajax' was the bar frequented
most often. They'd apparently
assigned two guys to my case,
Pancho and Ming, (whose club
name  I couldn't figure out, but 
could only think of as - ["Ming the
Merciless - a character who first
appeared in the Flash Gordon
comic strip in 1934. He has been
the main villain of the strip and its
related movie serials, televisions 
series and film adaptation; depicted 
as a ruthless tyrant who rules the
planet Mongo]" - who'd both come
around often enough and hang
about, watch what was happening,
etc. They were OK, but made me
nervous, especially the Ming guy,
who just oozed force and trouble.
They were each younger than me,
for sure, probably by 20 years.
Guessing. Somehow one day we
got on the subject of Morristown
and stuff up there, and Mt. Tabor
came up. I related the experience,
and damn it all, Pancho says 'I know 
that Gulf station! That was my
first job, ever. I used to live up
that way. I grew up there.' I was
floored, and wanted to ask if,
maybe, he had some recollection
of a car full of fools rolling in
with a burned and scorched old
Valiant. But I didn't.
-
Even funnier, that day the reason
they'd come was to ask if I would
be able to help them set up a
website, and a link, and all that,
for the Pagans MC. I fiddled and
mostly pretended, but then said
I too was unable to figure it out.
Pancho said he couldn't do it
either and couldn't find anything  
-  and that whenever he tried 
calling up 'Pagans' all he ever
got was 'weird sites and shit,
about religion and witches.' 
He was really perplexed.

No comments: