Friday, May 22, 2020

12,826. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,061

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1061
(they're to blame)
One time I wished for a
wishbone but was told I was
too early. To make a wish I
needed the wishbone first.
Huh? I replied. And that was
probably the first Catch 22
sort of option I ran up against.
Let no one say the world is not
a dead-end place.  That Ming
the Merciless guy, from the
previous chapter; yes, he was
one of those first I ever saw with
the shaved-head thing by choice.
There used to be a show on TV
called Hawaii-50; just another
goofball crime show, made
distinctive by its Hawaiian
locations and setting. Whenever
it got really boring, they dragged
out this Hawaiian arch-criminal
honcho type named Wo Fat.
That was a fair approximation
of Ming. The thing about these
Biker outlaw guys was how you
were supposed to be able to read
them by their tattoos. I guess it
was much like prison inmates
and their self-tattooing. But it
was freaky when you're standing
around at Ajax, (that bar I made
mention of, in Elizabeth, where
the Pagans drank) and your buddy
Schultz drags some guy over for
for you to meet and he's got the
telltale signs all over his face:
the little blue teardrop tattoo
next to the eye  -  one eye or the
other, I forget  -  which meant
that he'd killed someone; etc.
It all went on, there were tats
and symbols for everything,
and buyer beware too. I
always thought it was so weird
to meet a crowd of venerables
who wore their symbolized
notations IN their skin. It's IN
and not ON, right? And none
of this was the 'designer' tattoo
stuff you see these days  -  the
heavy colors and full coverage
of sleeves and backs and all
that. This was, rather, a readable
shorthand, by small symbols, by
which you were, sort of, told
about the person you were dealing
with. For good or bad, either way.
-
In 1996, trying to build a website
for your outlaw motorcycle club
was, apparently, more of a problem
than it is these days. Apparently
they  -  and the other clubs too  -
worked it all out, because now the
websites are legion  -  photos, bios
of imprisoned brothers, the RIPs
and In Memoriams that proliferate.
Pancho and Ming, by the way, used to
come riding into Metuchen -  which,
back then  -  kept a fairly rigorous
enforcement policy; and the cops
used to be always watching (they'd
visit me too, ostensibly on their
'friendly' stop ins. Just some quick 
talk, while, I figured, they spec'd 
things out. I was sure, always, that it 
wasn't just a 'drop-in' social visit.
I'm sure that officer was looking for 
intel or info. Probably looking for 
club stuff, drug deal traces, and
all the rest. I used to light religious
votive candles, to throw them
off as if I was a Jesus-freak or 
something [not really]). Anyway,
Ming and Pancho, at first, would 
ride into town wearing their
colors (jackets, with club insignias
on the back). For whatever legal
reasons, Metuchen was one of
those goody-towns that enforced a
no-colors rule through their town,
for motorcyclists. One-percenter,
outlaw-club colors pretty much
were like setting fire to headquarters.
So, once or twice they got pulled
over, profiled, interrogated, and
all the rest. After that, upon
approaching Metuchen, they'd
turn their jackets inside out.
That shows how dumb the law
was and how silly any enforcement
of it was as well. By grown men
cops too. But whatever. It was never
an issue after that, though, from my
end of town, I showed them how they
could enter and exit from the other,
South Plainfield side, and be done
with it. Once they did that, and got
to Plainfield in about 2 minutes, the
problems were over. Pagans and
Plainfield, besides both starting
with 'P,' thrived on each other.
-
I still used to shake my head a
little in thinking over their
confusion about the way a
computer 'search' for 'Pagan'
would confuse them when it
brought up, as he'd put it, that
'witches and religious shit.'
It didn't, or  shouldn't have,
taken a genius for that one;
but I guess not everyone learns
what they don't teach in school.
You're on your own, outlaws.
-
Anyway, it's Biker Club stuff,
and not my problem nor my
business. There's a nifty Hell's
Angels place now in Newark,
I assume with plenty of muscle,
and, from Elizabeth on out to
Paterson, it's said the Pagan
influx has risen greatly and
that preferred weapon of choice,
for them is the 'axe handle.' Oh
boy, lots to look forward to there.
Maybe they'll soon let Druids join.
-
One of the things that screwed up
my life  -  at least in terms of getting
anywhere or interacting well others  -
was a large difference in points of
view. AND, more importantly, a
rather inauthentic, two-level manner
of living, or being. that has been my
most difficult thing  -  having to
exist in a world filled with others
whose habits and inclinations are
on no way inclined to mesh with
mine. I've never been one of those
to sit idly by, over food or coffee,
entertainments or travel-sites, and
wile away all the wasted hours in
being 'entertained by the enjoyment
of same.' It just doesn't work, for
me. In fifteen minutes, my spark
is on to the next endeavor or idea
or impulse. An 8-hour workday,
for me, is pure torture, and always
was, and I could never understand
how people so gladly imprisoned
themselves in such traps and tombs.
The love of God or money just
wasn't enough for me to do it.
That's a difficult burden, and one
that cannot readily be explained
to others. A quite (and quiet)
solitary, non-obligatory, café life
would have suited me better.
Upton Sinclair once wrote -
"The world which I see about
me at the present moment, the
world of politics, of business,
of society, seems to me a thing
demoniac in its hideousness; a
world gone mad with pride and
selfish lust; a world of wild beasts
writhing and grappling in a pit."
That was in 1903. Yes. He also
said  -  and this works fairly well
too for explaining why people
slave away at jobs while not trying
to understand their world first at all:
"It is very difficult to get a man
to understand anything when his
livelihood depends on his not
understanding it."
-
I always figured things had to
make better sense than what they
appeared as  -  the world was, then,
otherwise too ramshackle and too
raucous; disorganized. I never saw
'Creation' as having been meant to
be that way; so it couldn't be. You
end up with things like 'Pagans' being
confused by looking up their namesakes
and getting surprised to find religion
and witches. Upton Sinclair, in my
studies of his work and times, at least
somehow came up with a form of
a workable solution, to injustice,
maybe, or to just plain sleaze.
Utopianism. Power. Equivalence.
-
So, why try. Oh, man, do I get
tired of trying to explain my
differences. I never was much 
for that intellectual stuff, all those
literary reference types with
the big words and the memorized
lines of verse and all. That was
nothing as much as a conversation
stopper for me. A lot of that was
guys; males. I always figured
it to be what my friend George
used to call 'Little Man Syndrome.'
Meaning like, in Napoleonic terms,
some small guy overcompensation
in another department  -  like
literary or intellectual or any of
that. I never knew if that was true,
or if girls even cared about that
stuff. Never got the low-down
on it. Never had to, Ha!  But I
never felt that same thing coming
from the personality of a female.
They were at least sensible, and
could be talked to, as far as I saw.
Men were always fearsome, ready
to bite at the bit; and then, twenty
years later, they end up as interior
designers or fashion guys or some
weird something anyway. On the 
whole you have to figure, it's 
a female's world. At least back 
then it was. Why any lady would
have wanted to take the place
of any man in the 'sweat and
grunt for life' work-world was
beyond me. What's the use?
I could never fathom living a
life of work. When I was about
30 maybe, I met a guy once who 
said, upon being asked what he
was planning to do with his life,
that he was going to 'Try and do
everything to not work a day of it.'
Foolish me, hearing that, I was
unable to even figure what he
thought he'd be doing for gas and
food, let alone housing  -  and I ended
up working for like 40 stupid years
at a splendid series of non-literary,
and sometimes almost non-literate,
jobs, for about 30 cents on what
should have been a dollar. I was
underpaid my entire life, and no
one anyway ever saw the candle
under my bushel.  I guess I hid it
and am going straight to candle
hiders' Hell. Was that said to
be a sin? Or just a mistake, the
kind that can get forgiven? Man,
I never understand this religion
stuff, as it professes and goes about
saying forgiveness is possible, even
at the last moment, if you repudiate
your fearsome ways and earnestly
accept God and ask forgiveness.
Why then bother about a good life? 
Just wait until the end, repudiate, 
and make it home safe? How the 
heck do  these dudes think? All I 
know, by that count, is I better not
get bitched out, when I die, for any
of that hiding my candle stuff. 
Nobody wanted my light anyway. 
They're to blame; they just 
wouldn't listen.






No comments: