Thursday, January 25, 2018

10,474. THE ARTIST KNOWN AS DENSE FOG

THE ARTIST KNOWN 
AS DENSE FOG
Yes, I knew him but he wasn't me. 
His name was Eddie Testo, A half 
Hispanic from Harlem, but more 
like a Hispanic half from Harlem.
It was in his mix, not his DNA. All
tight, white chinos and little Beatle
Boots together. He talked fast and
stirred paint with his sticks.
-
I guess you could call it 'painted';
whatever he did was lively, but sour.
Bitter. Only every once in a great while
was there a form or an object  -  mostly 
it was great splotches of running color.
I used to say, 'Eddie, you've captured
the Revolution with this one.'  He'd say,
'My name's no longer Eddie, remember?
And I missed it by a mile but thanks.
For my people.'
-
I never understood him, and now I
can realize what he was: a 1950's
leftover in 1965. Fastidious. Current.
Gay. And calm. An out-of-date 
Beatnik with all that aplomb.

No comments: