Thursday, January 11, 2018

10,395. GILT-EDGED FRAMING

GILT-EDGED FRAMING
She's a costly lady in a costly way,
and her life just seemed framed by
money  -  not smokestacks or gloom,
just money. Her father's maybe, when
he had the place called Highland Loom.
-
I never knew exactly what it was  -  a 
factory, a mill, a grindwheel for some
hundred jobs. He kept the old place
running though, on the Concord or
Merrimmac River. I forget that too.
-
Two shifts would line up, outside the
old brick walls, and in through the
gatehouse they'd shuffle, just stopping
to punch their cards. Workday in, and
workday out. I never saw where anyone 
lived, though it seemed few cars and 
they all seemed to walk.
-
Some things that used to be clear to me
now seem old and foggy. Forgotten moments
of a memory, already unsound when new.
I lost track of her  - Mary Meyberry  -  and
she's gone away but I don't know where.
There are times when everything is near
perfect  -  and there are times when you
just know the fit doesn't fit. My pencil'd
sketch in her gilt-edged framing.

No comments: