Friday, January 26, 2018

10,448. RUDIMENTS, pt. 207

RUDIMENTS, pt. 207
Making Cars
This may sound strange to you
but I've always believed in absolute
truth. Not the slideable-scale kind of
truth that gets used in making deals
and rationalizing behavior, allowing
things because of environments or
situation. The barrier-guardrail of
'Truth' remains the same, philosophically,
in whichever situation it is placed. Not
to say that this couldn't be argued all
day  -  and I'd eagerly be one to argue
it  -  but nonetheless it remains. The
Absolute. I once had a friend named
Andretta who asked me, in one of
our conversations, if I 'believed in
Evil.' I didn't then and don't now
know her position on that, but I can
fairly well imagine it to be trending
liberal, loose and easy; bending the
rules for the apportionments due
towards the 'disenfranchised.' How
it goes. I said (this was 2004) I most
definitely did. And not only that, I
attested to the fact that I believed
Evil was here among us, in the
form of the Devil, whose multifarious
ways influence and act upon most
of the things in our daily lives. I
then said I felt that Mankind was
fallen, flawed and useless and that
this was the Devil's own Kingdom
and all we had to do for the barest
of survivals was to find our own
grace and enlightenment through
the creative paths given each to
us separately : Over which this
'Devil' has no control, that being,
alone, what is left of God's Kingdom
within us. (Pretty cool talk for
co-worker equals at a bookstore,
no?).
-
Now, you may say, 'What's this got
to do with anything?' And you're
right. In the ordinary, everyday run
of things it doesn't, EXCEPT that 
we have by now so compromised 
and rendered as good as useless 
any shred of Goodness around 
us. When I went to the seminary 
for those years, I guess in a way 
I was unknowingly (since it 
never really crossed my mind) 
searching for Goodness. When 
I got out of there and had to 
robotically finish my year at 
Woodbridge High School 
(ghastly, atrocious, horrible 
place), I was searching for 
Goodness, in the dark, but 
searching. When I got to 
New York City and situated 
myself to my liking at the 
Studio School and my 
other points along the 
lower east side, I was 
searching for Goodness, 
and by then I kind of knew 
it. There was plenty of 
devil and plenty of evil 
there, but there were places 
too where Goodness stuck 
out its quaint, little head. 
I had to learn to deal with 
that difference, quickly and 
easily. I could not allow it 
to throw interference at me; 
had to surpass, or bypass, it. 
There's a certain kind of 
purity that I always admired. 
On 19th Street, east, in NYC, 
there's this place called 
Menno House  - a per-night 
rooming house kind of place, 
bathroom in the hall, casual, 
quiet, single rooms, etc. Menno 
is short for Mennonite, the 
people who run it. It originated 
as a refuge for conscientious 
objectors, as they were called, 
evaders of the draft, those 
excused from it, etc. Meditative 
and religious in ways that 
would make many people 
blanche. But it always 
embodied a purity for me  
-  an Absolute. A way of 
seeing that I really believed 
in. It was a pretty raucous scene
to see that   -  occasional Mennonite 
ladies with those white bib-hat
things they wear (this was still
back when  Catholic nuns still
word those harsh, starched, black
habits). They'd sometimes be
traipsing through  Tompkins 
Square Park with food trays 
and stuff to hand out. Little
cakes and cut sandwiches. All
 polite and dignified in their
service to the inept, crazed,
loud and filthy. Opposite to
them in demeanor and habits 
were the girls from the Digger 
Free Store nearby   -  half of those 
girls, who  lived naked on east 
6th, or 3rd, I forget, would attend 
to the Free Store in various states 
of free-dress. Loose-limbed, and 
with the occasional essential body 
part here or there hanging out, 
they represented the other
extreme of the Menno ladies.
Both were absolutes in their ways
and means, just different means of
getting to the same ends. The
Free Store usually had some sort 
of God-unknown hippie soup going,
to be ladled out, and any other food
available  -  peanuts, apples, thrown
away Tastycakes and things 'given
by stores instead of throwing them
away. I don't think there was today's
sell-by-date packaging yet, or I can't
recall it, but the store-people knew.
Free was free. 
-
The reason I knew about the girls was
because for a while I'd be put to use
ferrying things from the store to the
group-living quarters, back and forth,
and the silly girls always came to the 
door, yes, unclothed, and apparently 
lived that way. ( Free snack, I guess,
and, by the way, one that I [stupidly?] 
never sampled). On the other hand, 
the Mennonite girls always had their
doilies on.
-
So, back to absolutes and the 
evil and the Devil. The way 
the  question itself was phrased 
was  misleading and off point, 
because it sounds, by saying yes,
that I 'believe' in evil, as an ally 
or compatriot. I don't believe in 
it except that I believe it exists, 
as I said. And the Devil who 
manipulates and personifies 
it. A difficult paradigm here 
is presented, for sure. Oftentimes 
it has been phrased as 'Anti-Christ', 
or 'doing the Devil's bidding,' or 
any of those phrases. I believe 
it's an operative, parallel world
that gets into people's brains at 
night and sets them up for the 
next days, and, gradually, day 
by day, they can't resist and fall 
and advance the Devil's bidding
with 'Man' as its Slave Race. It 
sweeps  in waves. It owns 
Governments and organizations. 
As just one example, people 
wake up in the morning with 
the idea that they must cut trees. 
Yeah, sounds simple and dumb 
for me to say, right? But how 
do you think it brings us to 
the point of despoiling and 
being at war with Nature, 
wrecking the planet, making 
our streets and by-ways hideous 
and ugly? And having us just
gradually accept all that as OK?
Devil plant  -  that's the only 
plant they want to grow.

No comments: