Saturday, January 13, 2018

10,402. RUDIMENTS, pt. 194

RUDIMENTS, pt. 194
Making Cars
I've always figured shortcuts to be
pretty useless -   not the walking 
kind, those I liked. They are the
ones that you see where countless
footsteps have cut the angle of a
corner, paved or sidewalk, and
gone across through the junk and
scrub-land anyway and forged their
own path. Those I've always loved;
they're very human, very warming,
and bespeak in me a good feel for 
for the human predicament we always
find ourselves in. As 'Mankind' the
doer. Some primitive and ancient
tribal drive pushes us to do that,
cut that square and cross it with an
angle, path-worn and bare, and to
heck with the township or the county.
All those silly walkways.
-
No, the shortcuts I refer to are of 
some other nature, of another realm. 
Like suicide, for instance. I always 
wondered what is anyone thinking 
with that. It's the end of the same 
path we're all on, and it always 
beckons, but why the need for the 
shortcut? How to answer for that?
Nothing can really be so peculiarly
depressing as to accelerate the normal
drift of things to that extent. Maybe 
some extraneous exceptions can be 
argued - some horrible diagnosis, 
some wasting  disease, an incurable 
prognosis of death in 8 months. I 
guess, but even then who knows.
That's a shortcut I've to date easily
avoided, so I'm entitled to talk big;
but it exemplifies what I'm saying.
One thing I'm noticing now, at my
own advancing age  -  (get it, the
numbers no longer make me to be
of a celebratory nature)  -   is how,
at the least, I don't have to give a hoot
about anything really. I'm gone enough,
off the curve, out of the picture, that I
can acceptably just grumble, patter on
about my own past, reel off any of
a hundred enticing stories that can 
better what's around  -  things I've 
done or seen  -  and say to Hell with
the rest. I'm finally unexceptionable;
and if I get any older (I'm hoping to)
I'll be so disgusting as to also be an
'unmentionable.' That's a new club 
of which I'm President. The Loyal 
Order of the Unmentionables. People 
too out of the loop or crotchety or 
curmudgeonly, about any of the 
present that it's easier to just square 
off and punch out some 30 year old
know-it-all punk who knows nothing
anyway and prefers emo-rap. Be gone!
-
I don't expect much anymore from 
anybody. The whole stupid fiction 
of their living has got me down. Just 
the other day  -  a real  story  -  (this 
is how crazy life is) I'm driving my
wife around. She needed something
for next week. First we go to one store;
they don't have it, she doesn't like the 
way the store is kept anyway. So we 
go to the same store, by name, in 
another location about 6 miles off 
(yeah, pretty redundant I'd think), 
and we get there and some crazy 
lady is out front sending all the cars 
away. She had a manager tag on, 
from one of the stupid mall stores, 
and as it turned out the mall was 
closed because they'd lost power 
in the entire place, all the stores.
None of it mattered to me; I don't 
frequent malls in any way, unless 
maybe I can bring in an M16  or an
Uzi and get a good shot-vantage point.
So we leave, and, yes, there's a third 
one of these stores in another mall, 
in East Brunswick, some 10 or 12 
miles off. We get there, all is well, 
she goes in. While I'm waiting, I 
walk the dog, hang around the
perimeter, of the main lot. There's 
snow on the ground, and plowed 
snow in piles. People occasionally 
walk about, but pay no heed, looking 
at phones or daydreaming. I'm looking
at the snow piles and, believe this or
not but it's true, in the snowed and
weedy shrubs I start seeing dollar
bills  -  clinging to things, snow and
branches at the ground level. The
previous day had been windy. It's 
a mall, a bunch of stores, and there's 
a bank-drive-in nearby too. So be it.
By the time I was (carefully) done,
I'd amassed 12 singles. That's 12
dollars I didn't have 10 minutes
previous. I muttered curses at the
lame-brain who would lose only
singles and not fives or tens, but,
whatever. So, I'm thinking, where 
to go with this money? Turn it 
into the bank? No. Go into the 
nearest store and tell them? Nah. 
Wait for the little rent-a-cop guy 
to come around again with his 
silly amber light blinking on the 
car-roof. No, again. I took the 
(wet) money and folded it into 
my coat pocket. I looked at it 
today, and it's now quite dry 
and the bills seem quite crisp, 
thank you. Not a rich-man's 
fortune, don't get me wrong, 
and I know that, but a cool 
stash to find.
-
So, where was my shortcut there?
What well-worn path should have 
brought me to that pass? None. And
sometimes it's just much better to
slowly finish even the dumbest task,
the most routine and idiotic goal, like
leather gloves at Macy's, to find the
surprising nugget at the base of that
slimy tree. People ask me if I would
ever kill myself. I answer no. And 
why? 'Because I want to see how 
this thing ends up.'



No comments: