Tuesday, January 9, 2018

10,386. RUDIMENTS, pt. 190

RUDIMENTS, pt. 190
Making Cars
One time about 1966 someone's
father drove us to the airport,
Newark, all we ever called it. 
Back then it was pretty neat 
because they had this lounge 
area, high up by a level or two, 
and it was faced with enormous 
glass, and had some chairs, 
auditorium style but not vast 
or anything, maybe 25 seats.
 That was back in the day when 
no one cared who came and 
went, no one looked twice and 
passengers, visitors, travelers 
and anybody could just hang 
around. They had these little 
walkway-gate things and at 
each one was a posted light 
board or something with arrivals 
and departures and where this 
gate-flight was headed or 
coming in from, and when. 
You could just walk from 
gate to gate. But what I liked, 
and did it a few times, was 
just to take an afternoon, 
Saturdays I guess it was, 
and just sit there  -  it was 
like a big real-life movie 
screen outside all that glass. 
You'd see planes coming in, 
landing, taxi-ing, lining up for 
flights out, unloading, the 
carousels coming and going  
-  for luggage and food and the 
guys who worked the cargo 
bays and luggage carriages 
and all. It was fascinating 
and beyond all meaning, for 
me, especially, in that flying 
was a whole other option I'd 
never been exposed to. I didn't 
know it from anything and so 
all I saw was adventure.  It 
seemed crazy for 'metal' to 
be put to such use  -  riveted 
and welded, heavy and 
streamlined, ripping off into 
clear air, or descending from 
it. There really was an entire 
class of people to whom this 
was all nothing. Chicago and 
L.A. on a whim. Fascinating. 
I couldn't structure my own 
life broadly enough to take all 
that in. Yet I was sure that those 
people thought nothing of this 
in the manner I did  - to them it
was just their form of commerce,
discourse, talking away. I'd sit
there just mesmerized, thinking 
about the world in terms of what 
I saw. I remembered well, about 
1957, being a kid and, in my yard, 
looking up and seeing my first 'jet'  
-  a French Caravelle  -  in the sky, 
instead of the usual square-form 
prop planes that had dotted the 
sky constantly until then. That 
was the beginning of the days 
of the Beings and and that 
whole 707, 727, 737, 747, and 
on, thing, as the planes progressed 
in size, speed and capacity. I'd 
never before seen jet engines 
or turbos or whatever they were 
hanging on the rear tails of a plane, 
and the swept-back wings of the 
jets. It was all sudden and new, 
with their own new sound too. 
That was a turning point of 
the world for me. I remember 
it well. One by one, inch by inch, 
all things were underway with 
transformation. All the trains 
running past my yard had been 
electrified, and there was no 
more soot and smoke as they 
had chugged by, previously. 
The step-up in efficiency and 
cleanliness and sound was 
considered an improvement, 
but I already felt it as a loss.
-
The world I had known was 
fading  -  being replaced by 
different definitions of words 
I'd never used anyway. 
Everyone was happy-go-lucky 
about things. I tried to stop it, 
slow it down, and by extension, 
myself  -  remaining aloof, 
away. Maybe, even as a kid, 
I changed my own world, at 
age 8, with that train crash  -  
it gave me the space and time 
I needed to remove myself 
from the normal run of 
everyday matter. When I 
awoke, months later, it was 
as if I was or had been, 
Christopher Columbus himself, 
with a whole new world. Same 
world anyway, but I saw it totally 
different, less like the sailor-boy 
Columbus and more like, or as
if, he'd time-traveled and 
returned, instead of just 
sailing some guttural sea.
-
You know, we all enter 
corridors, each of us, and 
those corridors are our own 
worlds  -  entryways and 
side-paths beckoning. All 
along the way we have 
choices and needs and 
understandings, and we 
have to meet them or 
determine at least our 
own ways of dealing 
with them  -  just like 
that enormous pane of 
airplane glass I watched 
through. Aloof, and fascinated 
too, I tried understanding the 
situation given. Not an easy
 task. It seemed like 
everywhere around me 
the world was getting 
smaller by design. Speed 
and ease were making 
everything accessible. A 
funny sidebar to this is, 
whenever, back in the mid-70's 
or something, when President 
Carter had all the energy-crisis 
stuff going on, the speed limits 
on all the highways were being 
brought down to 55. That was 
a big setback  -  supposedly a
person's car ran 'most efficiently' 
at 55mph, for gas mileage and 
all. Everyone back then was in 
a near hysteria and panic over 
the fact that scientists had 
proclaimed we'd run of gasoline 
by 1992 or so, and face a 
world without car-fuel. People 
went nuts. Of course in 1974 
it was like 57 cents a gallon 
and once they got to the 
'shortage-threshold' price 
of a dollar or dollar-ten, and 
then up from there, all of a 
sudden a few years later 
there was plenty of fuel, 
and now you never hear a 
word about us 'running out 
of' gasoline (oil). It's all an 
induced hysteria for control, 
like they do now with global 
warming and all that 
faux-proto-science stuff; to 
command people, and institute 
controls. The world doesn't 
change, we just interpret it 
differently each time. The 
world does what it God-damn 
pleases, to us or not, with us 
or without us. Anyway, about 
that time I wrote a piece in 
which I used the cutting of
the speed limit, in light of the
Monroe Doctrine, and tied 
them together. (I'll tell you 
it in  a minute). I sent it off to
a friend of mine, in California, 
Ed Rudolph, an old Studio 
School guy when he lived in 
NYC. He thought it was great, 
and he took it somewhere and 
read it, some college thing, and 
it was the big hit of the semester  
-  raves and accolades. Pretty cool. 
The point I made was that the 
essence of the Monroe Doctrine 
(America stretching from sea to 
sea) had been achieved, and the 
American people were getting 
agitated and stir-crazy with 
having nowhere new to discover, 
feeling closed in, stateside the 
land having been closed. The
government's reaction this 
was to lower the speed limits 
everywhere so that it would 
take people longer to get 
anywhere, long distance 
anyway, and so they'd get 
the feeling that the country 
was still large and vast and 
untapped. Yeah, you had 
to be there.

No comments: