Thursday, January 4, 2018

10,365. RUDIMENTS, pt.184

RUDIMENTS, pt. 184
Making Cars
'Dereliction of duty.' I did
always like the sound of that 
phrase. Or the look of it, I guess,
since most things to me were seen
in writing form, sign form. It just
always came across well. Unlike
A.W.O.L., which I could never
figure out. I always figured, in the
military, to go anywhere you had
to get 'Leave' first, so that it meant,
'Absent Without Leave.' Meaning 
you've left the premises without 
being allowed to. And then, some 
years later, I learned it actually was 
'Absent Without Official Leave.'
Meaning you could leave, I guess,
but you had to leave 'officially.'
Someone first had to OK it. 
Typical military stuff, as if there 
were degrees of absence  -  you 
could NOT be there, the right way 
or the wrong way. No sense at all, 
and things of that nature always 
confused me. It was like a form
or predetermination. The human 
condition; were you not possessed
of a free will to make your own
selections? Then later, studying the
make-up and premise of militarism
in all its forms, I came across their
rather illogical rendering of the 
concept of the military 'unit' taking 
precedence, and that in order to 
maintain the needed cohesion (to 
be an effective 'fight-force' at but
a moment's notice), the member's
Freedom, in fighting for Freedom (?)
had first to be surrendered to a strict
code of faceless adhesion to rules 
and command, which is almost 
biblically correct by its ranking and 
naming of levels and positions, ranks 
and command. Every incremental step 
along the way had a designated title 
and locus, so as to provide an instant 
identification of where, along that
scale, the person's surrendering of
personal Liberty had brought them.
It actually made little sense in the
end, as the same bullet that kills 
PFC Clarkson could just as well 
kill Lieutenant Colonel Ambutson,
except that when you reach that rank 
and level, a certain portion, very 
small, but certain, of your 'Freedom' 
has been recouped enough  -  so that 
you are free NOT to stand in the 
line of fire, and thereby have PFC 
Clarkson take that hit for you, his
low-boy rank signifying him, 
essentially, as dead-meat, or at 
least an easy candidate for same.
That's the military argument, and 
the other one about all men being 
equal, or born equal, or whatever, 
only holds charge in the outside 
world, for in the military world 
you are judged and held to the 
mainstays of differing standards. 
I found that all very uncomfortable.  
And I found myself to be a 
charitable-enough man so that 
I'd not allow or wish to allow 
for having anyone to 'fall' in 
my stead. The military mind, 
however, cannot operate like
that. I'd rather NO ONE fell; 
they'd not blink if both fell. For 
some silly, indeterminate, cause 
deciphered over indirect and 
imprecise forms. After all, the 
game-plan here was that no 
one is free and ALL is 
pre-determined, or what's 
an army for? Fighting each 
for their IDEA of their own 
predestination. To hell with
Freedom, whatever that means.
-
In that way, I guess, in the 
world of brute boys and men, 
I'd be described as 'too good 
for this world'  -  a degenerate 
weakling. That would bother 
me, I guess, but only for about 
ten seconds. I hate to keep 
harping on 'control,' but that's 
about all I ever saw in anything. 
Every concept, every tenet of 
anything, seemed to have no 
merit except a kind of made-up 
fantastic-certainty by which 
someone could 'be over' someone 
else  - superior rank, a Cardinal 
over a priest, an Archbishop 
under the Cardinal but over the 
Bishop; the Pro over the Amateur, 
and, again, the Lieutenant Colonel, 
certainly, over the lame PFC. 
Marine over Army but Army 
over Navy. It's all crazy. 
-
If people don't, apparently, find 
their own footing among stuff like 
that, they feel things are out of 
control  - so there's saluting the 
flag, and rifle salutes and laws 
and proclamations; business leaders 
or just poor businessmen. Everything 
on the crawl to be slobbering over 
someone else. I always figured that 
if we gave others the benefit of the 
doubt like we gave ourselves, we 
might rise to be less demanding 
and rotten about crawling over 
others. We'd find peace. In my
time, from the bottom up, instead
of the top down, (rich dudes miss 
a lot, and garner bad habits), I saw
a lot of people, real human people,
going about their meager lives, with
those around them at the same level
and, mostly, just as perplexed. What
I saw there was a character action,
a helpful (and  healthful) interaction 
among peers. The guy lifting and 
hauling, the waitress cleaning up 
the counter between orders, the
frustrated driver trying to park.
People are always imperfect, and
at fault too, for something. But 
again, giving everyone the 
benefit of the doubt (same as 
to oneself ), the human that is 
managing, just coping, needs for
us, I think, to worry less about 
being in control, or who is, and
instead just going easier on each 
other. After all, really, what's any
of it worth? In the long run, as
John Maynard Keynes said, we're
all dead. Maybe it's far better that
we be as understanding with others
as we are  -  or ought to be  -  
with ourselves. So, don't shirk.
Do your duty, and  -  by the way  -
pass me that bowl of compassion
you're hoarding for yourself.

No comments: