Tuesday, January 30, 2018

10,463. RINGING THE HOMES

RINGING THE HOMES
At 9, I crossed the border for
the very first time : not me alone,
with my family in tow. I didn't
know the land, or even what they
called it. 'Mericum' or something
like that. My Uncle Amos told me 
first : 'This will not be what you're
used to, Henry, but do not worry
for we are here.' My Aunt Maisie,
still crying, just nodded. She held
a scrunched up little towel in her
hands  -  to dab her eyes, it seemed.
'Can I just as soon get a dog?' I
remember asking that. My father
said, 'Henry, we'll have to see.'
He always said funny things, and
I expected more but nothing came.
Just the day before, I'd asked what
we'd be doing, because I knew it
was coming soon. He laughed, and
roughed my hair. 'First things first
when we get to the Moon.'

No comments: