Monday, January 15, 2018

10,408. RUDIMENTS, pt. 196

RUDIMENTS pt. 196
Making Cars
There are golden roads and
there are really crummy paths
and byways. I remember sometime
about 1967 or so, the early Grateful
Dead  -  back when they were still
a bit more hard and electric than
they ended up being known for -
had a tune called something about
'The Golden Road To Unlimited
Devotion.' Boy that phrase caught
me up good; I really loved it. The
rest of the album too  -  it ended
up representing something for me
that I could never really put my
finger on; a sort of hip reciprocity
of the times with San Francisco
psychedelia, and Hell's Angels
too, unwittingly. (They were
early on the 'house band' for
the Oakland or San Francisco
Hell's Angels, and, once
established, stayed that way,
previously having been Mother
McCree's Jug Band or something,
and then, just previous to being the
Dead, they were the Warlocks). I
didn't know any of that stuff at first,
and it wouldn't have mattered to me
anyway. Years later, when they hit
the big time really big, their music
changed to a sort of feminine version
of that whole scene  -  nothing I ever
really cared about, except for any of
20 bar bands that stayed with the
Dead tunes in all their incarnations.
I hung onto that album for a long
time, and listened. Running a close
second to that for me was Country
Joe and the Fish, and their really
cool debut album  -  'Electric Music
For the Mind and Body.' They had 
some grand music on there too. My
problem mostly was in only have
the most meager audio equipment 
to play it on  -  something akin to
a car radio but not in a car. All that
treble and high scratchiness, no 
depth, and little resonance. Oh 
well. Audio listening equipment 
back then was really pathetic  -  
these little 12 dollar (maybe) things 
with one speaker probably about 
the size of a silver dollar, built
into a plastic-crap body that folded
down on itself, kind of suitcase like, 
when not in use, and which was 
activated by picking up the toner 
arm, or needle arm, whatever it is. 
That was what started and stopped
things, and at the end of the LP
I don't think it returned automatically
either. A real mess. But that was my
introduction to this stuff. The stuff I
liked at the time. In that sort of 'rock' 
music nothing has to matter anyway  -
a sot of non-specific theme-ocray rules.
Road? Golden Road? Devotion?
Unlimited Devotion? What any of all
that was really supposed to mean I
never knew. It's still a lot like that
even in regular writing (or maybe
'irregular') writing; the idea being
suggestion more than specificity. It
was all bundled together in that time
with the entire alternative-culture
thing : swirls and swoosh, feeling
good and touching, and nothing
very specific at all. If you wanted
to be a right-winger and shoot these
people down all you had to do was
ask any one of them to 'specify' what
in the world it was that they were
trying to do or change. Pretty weird.
-
I spent some time thinking about work.
Not that I ever wanted to do it  -  (I did,
within  a few years, end up as a Monday
to Friday nine-to-fiver for a long time).
I hated work. I had a friend once whose
mission it was was to go through life
and not work. He detested it worse
than I did. It wasn't the work that I
disliked, it was all the stuff you had
to do along the way  -  all that talking
and bonding and pretending to care
and pretending to wish to advance. It
was all a crock, and whoever invented
that treadmill, and money too, I hope
they got shot dead real soon after. In
my way, I made it work, doing what 
I had to and keeping ahead of the 
boulder always ready to run me over
from behind. Some of the work I
got involved with was real dog-ass 
stupid stuff. Business printing and
deadline stuff, running back and
forth with things I had to get or 
bring or do to people I know 
admit to really detesting. I honestly
don't know how I did it; it was
painful for me, and quite dishonest 
too. It doesn't come until later in
life that you can tell other to go
schuck it and get lost.
-
Dancing and singing, if it occurs,
is supposed to come from within  -
singing joyfully maybe to oneself
about the sense of one's worth and
happiness. It requires no  concern
for others. Work is just the opposite
of that  -  singing and dancing FOR
others, in duress, as a form of wage
slavery. Valuing oneself with no
comparison to others, for the simple
sake of living freely, now becomes the
drudgery of doing what's told to you,
following order and routine and, lastly,
pretending. Singing and dancing FOR
others, and against your own better 
judgment. We find ourselves miserable
in ruthless competition, with contempt
and inequality of situations killing us.
Once I began writing, I became quite
conservative in my ways, for the love
of the familiar ordinariness of civilized
life and the hope of enjoying it longer.
-
I ended up figuring that if the world is
really in all the trouble it's said to be in,
with warming and pollution and poisons 
and toxins, we should all be allowed to
voluntarily do our part by being paid to
not work, somehow. To NOT be adding
to the general over-production mess. 
Who really needs 50 kinds of paper 
towels, and 70 different, and redundant, 
kinds of toothpaste and the rest. You 
tell me? Who needs stores 40 acres 
large from which to buy all this 
over-produced crap and then yell 
about, or be yelled at for, the waste 
and overproduction and consumption 
WE are then accused of? How twisted 
for profit is any of that? Gross National
Product is just that.
-
So I figured people should get paid
for volunteering out of the mess. And
then I found some philosopher or some
contemporary social critic or something, 
named Bernard Suits (yeah, real name).
His point was why should we all get so
engaged in doing evil? Some people are
just driven to that garbage, the making
of money, possessions, supposed prestige.
OK then, let them have it. The rest of us
should be allowed to opt out for the good
of the planet, if nothing else, and be lauded
for it. And then, he says, suppose material
abundance is achieved  - it can be stopped
at some point. We don't simply have to
continue doing more and more. Once 
there, even more people can opt out. And
then what? He says  -  'Worry, labor and
trouble form the lot of most men's life, but
if all their wishes got fulfilled, how would
men occupy their lives? What would the do
with their time?' His answer was astounding.
'Play. Games and sport. Play for its own sake.
If some people intrinsically valued doing the
things regarded as trades, such as house
building,they could do that, but done as sport,
for reasons of the game of the building
craft. In addition to hockey, baseball, tennis
and the rest, there would be the sports, also,
of business administration, jurisprudence,
philosophy, construction, science, motor
mechanics, and the rest, ad infinitum.'
-
The very fact that we can approvingly (or
at least I can) imagine this form of society
shows that the idea of a Utopia is still
intelligible to us. Forge on! Work at it!




No comments: