Wednesday, January 24, 2018

10,470. KINGS OF SPEEDWRITING PLAY CHESS

KINGS OF SPEEDWRITING 
PLAY CHESS
They sit around their tables but the
can't sit still. This is not Big Blue.
Chessmaster Wang Fu will be up
next, playing Ishtor Potemkin, the
winner of which match will then
go up against Ivan Petroff. I am
covering the matches for Reuters
Sports, but I don't understand a
thing. This is a sport? Chess?
With an arena audience of 14
silent people? What should I
write, and should I write as fast
as they play? Young Peter Riaday
here, from the Rockaway Beach
Chess club, vows to beat them all
Should I write about that? He's only
14. And anyway, I'm here now, on 
Macdougal Street, one of those 
ancient chess clubs where they
yet play these matches. But why?
I get 70 dollars a day to cover this.
Who the hell cares about a rook, or
a pawn, or even a king or a queen?

No comments: