Tuesday, July 22, 2014

5604. WE ARE NOT THE AUTHORS OF OUR OWN LIVES

WE ARE NOT THE 
AUTHORS OF OUR 
OWN LIVES
Not sure just what that means but who cares anyway here I am.
I'm standing at a military hill in West Point, NY looking down
and out across the river's vista before me : arrayed around me
are cannons and statues and swords and mortars and howitzers,
all that crass military junk here revered. We take our highest
esteems and place them atop a hill where we extol all the
military dead. What for? Behind me, some cadets are out
doing their runs and calisthenics. It's like a certain prison
madness I can identify with. Out in the exercise yard 
before being sentenced to death. Why I should care,
I don't know; so I don't and I won't.
-
The sun itself is pretty lovely, and the water here
sparkles far below  -  the railroad cavity where the
train lines run, the Hudson River and the barges and boats.
I'll watch everything sparkle. I'll listen to that slap of the flag.

No comments: