Thursday, July 31, 2014

5634. HERE I AM, STEPSON

HERE I AM, STEPSON
The shadow is on the shoelace, the rugged face is
the sailor's home. I find so many people too young
for their own conditions : it was Rabelais who said,
upon his deathbed, 'I go to seek a Great Perhaps.'
For myself, I think I'd have to add a second perhaps.
-
The gendarme is lily-white, and he stands perplexed
by watching the flowers go, and all those American
girls in passing, and their giggles too. Nothing due back,
just another shout or a smile. All this life isn't really
living  -  more just like something to do.
-
I can't bell the cat and I won't wash the car, most 
certainly not here in a foreign land. Joyce Carol Oates
once asked, 'where are you going, where have you been?'
Most people go nowhere, and have long left their skin.
-
I want science with a corn dog. I want to watch you eat.
Books, existential anxiety, pizza, a happy dance, a
bowl of some soup, a vegetable I've never had, all
things like that  -  something to surprise me, please.

No comments: