Wednesday, July 9, 2014

5562. ONLY SAINTED BUSBY

ONLY SAINTED BUSBY
The 1922 bus was running along a cobblestoned street and
women in strange dresses slowly got on. Everywhere I
looked was a canvas canopy selling fruits and vegetables 
beneath  -  the produce marts of a mental time before
supermarkets had things to sell. Most of this life was
lived outdoors. My grandmother was born in '01, or
maybe '00 I forget. She was always the same age as 
the year of that century. To a kid, that was pretty
special. She talked a talk of good speed, told me
before cars there were horses everywhere, and the
ice man and the vegetable man and all those noisy
carts. People of trinkets  -  tinmen, walkers,
cobblers, mechanics and wheelmen too. She
said women back then were just as sexy too : 
big black bodices with sometimes nothing
underneath. 'We could show today's men 
a thing or two, believe you me! They think
they're so smart.' I always remember a
hundred old things. When she went to the
the toilet, she'd always say 'I'm going to
'terlet' to make water.'

No comments: