Tuesday, July 1, 2014

5532. AS IT IS

AS IT IS
I know nothing new of the abyss, and
it is all here with me  -  this final day
of a desired June now closing  -  I am
walking my dog through sepulchral times
in a silence to which no other word rhymes.
-
So then, that is all. Not a mouth engaged to 
talking, not an arm engaged to lift. Backwards
the letter reads better : 'sincerely, Janie' then 
starts it off; and June is reaching its end.
-
Ah, Tiverton once more! Its narrow, cobblestone 
streets are dreamt of amidst all of Devon's hills  -  the
streets meander along the contours of the land. I will go
sit at Collipriest House, a large estate just out of town.. 
-
I know nothing, again, new of the abyss. Walking on,
as I am,with my dog, along a hedgerow in a pleasant
vision : not the famed and damned Norman Hedgerow 
of a D-day story. Beuzeville-au-Plain, do you see? 
The word is 'bocage'. It is insurmountable and dense,
tres dense, oui.  Yet all that is of another place. 

No comments: