Monday, July 21, 2014

5603. FINE ART WAREHOUSING

FINE ART WAREHOUSING
'We ask no questions we don't look in boxes, we have
no clue what people bring in here. Provenance? Don't
know. If we had to check the history of every piece for
proper ownership and the rest, everything would have to
cost a lot more to store. Basically, I don't care where you
got your what from. Not my business here at all.'
-
I grew up here, in Brooklyn, in what's called now the
Midwood area. When I was growing up, it was called
Flatbush. My father was an accountant; but we also was
an ordained rabbi. He did accounting work for Chabad.
There's a lot of funny stuff I remember : I went to Yeshiva
Flatbush, where I got most of it. Jewish jokes: a Jewish 
woman takes her mother to a Cecil B. DeMille type movie,
one of those spectaculars. Christians are put in with the
lions, getting torn up. She starts screaming, 'Those people
are being killed!' The girl says 'Grandma, grandma, it's 
not real, it's a movie. No one's getting hurt.'
-
Then, a few minutes later, a lion is shown on screen,
wandering around in the arena. The grandmother starts
screaming again, 'My God! look at that lion, so skinny!
It's not getting enough to eat!' I always thought that was
pretty funny; I screwed it up some in the re-telling, but in
its funny way it's perversely anti-Christian. My school
chum, Ron, he's still around. I'm told, by him, that every 
morning he and a Philadelphia rabbi named Shemtov, over
the telephone study something together, each day, from the
Torah. For twenty-five years now, he says. 
I want to see his phone bill.
-
I'm an agnostic Jew now myself. I don't believe in nothing,
but with a schmear. You want art? You want to hide art? You
got the stolen artifact, the ancient relic, the architectural
fragment, the purloined painting? I don't want to know what.
You box it, you crate it, you cover it, I don't care nothing.
I store it, no questions asked  -  you figure out the rest.
No lions going hungry here.'


No comments: