Saturday, July 19, 2014

5593. I MARRIED A STORY

I MARRIED A STORY
I married a story to a tale and got an epic. No one
told me what to do. I see this guy walking, every 
day, and  -  frankly  -  I worry. He carries himself 
all wrong, too lanky and stiff. Same black gabardine 
pants with a shirt. Tucked in no less, and a belt strap
the leftover part, too long for the loop and just hanging.
On his head, the same black baseball cap. No hair, it
seems, at all under that. Now, I don't mean a week or
two; it's been like 15 or 20 years, same stuff. He walks
down my street, past the house, about 10:15 each day.
Headed somewhere. Then back again, just cruising
past the other way about 4:30 every day. Whew!
-
Maybe there's a job somewhere at one end or the other:
cutting cloth for manufacture, mailing letters for some
attorney, an office on a second floor downtown. Or
perhaps reviewing payments for insurance claims.
I don't know but I'm sure he doesn't shoe a horse.
-
I'd like to follow someday just to see. Yet, that's
not my style at all. I'd rather just make 
things up, rather just let him be.

No comments: