Wednesday, November 23, 2022

15,788. I FINALLY LOST MY MOMENT

I FINALLY LOST MY MOMENT
I've always considered red wine to be a
health food. Is that the right word? What
instead? A very 'nutritiously positive' 
drink? Now this fool tells me he washes 
his punk-blond hair with it to achieve
a certain tint he wants. Yes. Lots of
guys become girls over time?
-
I've smuggled paraffin loaves over
the border. We told the guards at Canada
that they were bakery cakes with icing;
instead they were filled with contraband.
The guards never stopped us fully once;
always the same bullshit moment: What
to declare? Where were you born? Can
I see your driver's license? (They actually
always said 'Driving License,' which I'd
never heard before. I declare!).
-
I had a friend named Billy. Dead now, again.
He'd always catch a girl with bleach-blond
hair and say, 'Hey, tell me, do your drapes
match the curtains?' I never at first knew
what he was getting at, until he told me
straight out, 'You think they're gonna' dye
down there?'
-
Maybe it wasn't funny, but it was unique
enough. At that same Canadian border
once, they wouldn't let us cross from
America into Canada with a dog in the
car. So we had to park the car and walk
the bridge  -  and when we finally got
back to the car, the nervously abandoned 
dog had panicked and torn up the upholstery,
AND many of the wires underneath the
dash. We had to junk the car, have it towed,
and grab a rental back home to Elmira.
-
Just as well about all that. There was a
pistol in the console we'd never had been
able to explain, and a whole case of sterno 
in the trunk, for the camp-stove thing we
had with which we stop and make meals
in any park we'd find. That same dog I
mentioned? At a park in Buffalo it got
loose and roughed up some little kid
who was walking the pond with his 
father while we ate.
-
It could have gotten ugly, but we got
away, with a little diplomacy, fifteen
bucks as payoff, and some luck. 
Damn dog it was, every time.

No comments: