Sunday, November 6, 2022

15,745. RIGHT SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE

RIGHT SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE
I was walking. I was shattered by noise.
The corner of Mandletown Road and Big
Eddy Corners was close by. The Chevrolet
that backfired sounded like a gun, from
1991. Back when Chevies last fired big.
-
Outside the greenery, right there this
morning. I'd espied a bear trimming my
property. The clocks had changed in the
middle of the night, so everything was
a bit screwed up - my awakening, the
outside light, and all the rest.
-
I thought it was a hunchback, funny
as that seems, or some weirdly huddled
guy crossing my front area. Usually when
I awake there's three or four munching
deer there. Today it was a bear there.
-
Now, hours later, this choking Chevy went
by  -  kids as glum as Hell, coaxing their
old car along as it sputtered and spit. I
hadn't had a scene like that in years. Funny
as all get out; cars used to always do that
stuff  -  in the old days. Now they mostly
run as smooth as silk.

No comments: