Friday, November 18, 2022

15,775. MAKE THIS DISAPPEAR

MAKE THIS DISAPPEAR
Jackie Francinado was once a
boxing champion; took a few
too many to the chin, but
carried his head aloft no
matter. It went on like this
for quite some time. The
referee finally called him
out  -  a  TKO; he was out
in nine. After that he hung
up his gloves and worked
the door at Archinetti's
Blue Lounge.
-
All this was long ago, but
I remember the time. I
had a great-uncle there too,
he worked the ropes and he
boxed as well. Bantamweight
champion of something or
other. I met him only once,
at my Grandmother's house
in Bayonne. Cauliflower ear
and a big, flat nose.
-
He was her brother; some
family connection to a place
and a time I never knew but
always wanted to. Make this
disappear? It's up to me,
not up to you.

No comments: