Saturday, November 19, 2022

15,777. HOWDY DOODY NEVER CAME HOME

HOWDY DOODY NEVER CAME HOME
To Buffalo Bob I dedicate this screed. Howdy
Doody was lost in space  - trajectory altered
by some subversive cabal; around the other
side of Venus, and that was all.
-
The loop was never finished and he was 
unheard from after that. 'We lost Howdy 
Doody in a Communist trap!'  -  that's what
they told us in school. 'Under the desks, ye
rascals! The bombs are coming to scold!'
-
We dodged and we ducked, yes. It soon got
old, yet I scampered like the rest as best I could.
Under the desk, with Mary Lou Hood! Now
that was a young boy's lesson worth learning!
-
Now? Yes, much worse for wear I sit about
thinking. The bombs never came, or, anyway
not in that fashion and never the way they said
it would happen  -  subversive, for sure, now
all the geeks have Manhattan, and Kansas is 
gone, and California too. Chicago, and Memphis!
What should I do? Howdy Doody never came home.

No comments: