Thursday, April 25, 2019

11,711. RUDIMENTS, pt. 665

RUDIMENTS, pt. 665
(those eternal silences alarm me)
If I had somehow been 
dropped and landed in 
the Andes Mountains,
slogging my solo way 
through the Peruvian 
highlands somewhere,
or like that Fitzcarraldo 
guy in the Herzog film, 
I'd have been mo more
impetuous than I already 
was. Or intent anyway on 
getting to my own destinations : 
Dragging all that maddening 
equipment, supplies, and 
constructions over mountains
and valleys to build my opera
house no matter the cost. That 
was all part of my make-up, 
and the streets and times of 
my life right then were really 
all I was intent upon. One 
day, not that long after I'd
gotten there, I was walking 
along 8th Street, headed east, 
from the Studio School, headed
towards St. Mark's Place; a group
of 4 or 5 kids caught up to me.
They were all over me with the
most friendly of talk, all that
good-guy forever stuff, as if 
they were actually glad to see 
me. As it turned out, they were 
from  Woodbridge High School 
and had been part of that miserable 
last term I had to spend there. No
better bunch of rabid do-gooders
had I ever experienced  -  they'd
been the energy pack of that year's 
class  -  all that extra-curricular
jive, yearbook committees, Spring
play, everything to make the fine
totality of the school year. And now,
at the beginning of August, a scant
maybe three months most, they catch
up to me, quite by accident, and act
as if I was and had ever been their
best buddy. The school year be 
damned, and all their sneering and 
uppity behavior towards me. I looked
around quickly thinking perhaps there
was a bus approaching that I could
re-direct into running them over, but,
no such luck and thus no bus. All 
of a moment, I was their finest 
chance meeting  -  they asked what 
I'd been up to, where I was staying, 
what school (of course) I'd be
going to (why is that the only
damned thing people thing about?),
and the rest. I felt about 2 feet tall,
and wasn't into any reciprocating at
all. I, also, could have lied my ass 
off and said I was going to both
Columbia and NYU together, and
on a Presidential Merit Scholarship
with a Junior year at the Sorbonne,
and those fizzle-heads would have
bought it. But I didn't; I played
everything down, acted sodden
and morose in their presence, and
said the most basic 'Hi, how are
you' crap I could. It seemed that,
once again, I'd been bested and I
immediately began to wonder
why it is that the human animal,
at its most annoying, is always
running in a pack.
-
Blaise Pascal, I think it was, 
said something like 'all human 
unhappiness comes from not 
knowing how to sit silent in 
a room.' Close to that, anyway.
I didn't know that at the time of
these kids, but I sure would have
liked using it on them  -  a dumb
bunch of noisy jabberwocks.
(Just made that up; seems to 
work). It was immediately seen
as incredible by me that these 
jerks, first off, for all their good
deeds, didn't just throw me
twenty bucks for old times 
sake, if it was all so glad and
happy to them, and to help out a
fallen compatriot (I figured the
church stuff and all would have
already been in their heads), and
secondly, act at least a little bit
concerned and 'listen' to whatever
I said back and not just talk over
it. They had tons of money, the
train fares and food budget and
movie thing, for each of them was
a sure ten or fifteen bucks. And
I knew they had more. It was
just after crossing Fifth Ave.,
here, and there was a movie
place of some sort then at or
near that corner. That's where
they were going  -  I'd passed 
it a hundred times, just figuring
it was a plush, just-off Fifth,
fancier than usual movie place.
They could have it. I left.
-
Funny thing about that Pascal
quote  -  about silence. He claims
all the problems of the human
stem from not remaining quiet,
as it were  -  I figure he means
to say we should be in quiet 
contemplation instead, and yet
he has another famous quote
about the mystification and
sort-of mystic paralysis such
silent contemplation can bring.
Pretty weird; both sides. Here's
the second quote, exact : 'I
feel engulfed in the infinite
immensity of spaces whereof I
know nothing, and which know 
nothing of me; I am terrified
The eternal silence of these
infinite spaces alarm me.'
Looking back now, boy I sure
would have liked to have used 
that as my answer to those
kids when they asked me how
I was doing. That would have 
been some real schmuck
excitement to bring back to
Woodbridge! (I can hear what
they would have said now  -  'Hey!
Remember that guy from last 
year, that crazy guy we used
to call Mad Dog? Listen to 
what he told us!!!'). Hell yeah,
that would have been fun.
-
I may have told this story before,
but it's one of the best and has 
always stayed with me. I'll
speed it up some and paraphrase 
a little. The girl's name was, as
it turned out, 'Cass,'  -  full name
Cassandra Lightling, or maybe it
was Lighteling, I forget. Uptown,
along the park, in the west 60's
and right up through the 70's and
80's, etc., it's called Central Park
West. One side of the street is
large, monied, apartment and 
condo living, big time stuff, 
the usual, and across the street 
is Central Park. Along the
residential side of the street,
as well, is the Ethical Culture 
Society; hall, lectures and soft
religion stuff, and then the
Museum of Natural History,
etc. For the park side, there's
a wonderful, old stone wall,
benches, entries, and gates 
named after cool things, like 
'Poet's Gate' and other high
honor things.  One day, as a
sort of hip'd out bum type, I
was lounging away on one of
those bench-seat things probably
about 65th street. Some girl 
came out from one of the
buildings and crossed over. 
(Cass). The story is long and
odd, but : She'd seen me, from 
whatever floor she was on. 
Lived alone there with her 
Father. He was a financial 
guy, working, big money,
but they didn't get along.
This day, as the result of 
some argument or quarrel,
he'd told her to remain indoors,
and had instructed the doorman,
as well, that she should NOT
leave the premises. A punishment
of sorts. She was maybe 15. She'd
seen me moping about, had gotten
fascinated, and actually had snuck
out to see me. She told me all sorts
of stuff -  lots of that teen angst,
want of a better life, filled with all
possibilities, etc. She said, to her 
I represented Freedom, and what 
sort of life she wished for (?).
I figure that there's a three or
four year period in every kid's life
when, amidst all that change and
confusion, certain things seen
just jump out at you as embodying
a quality or a trait to emulate.
She asked a hundred questions.
It was pretty sweet; I answered
what I could, honestly, and told
her to hang in, etc. I guess I'd 
have taken her with me, in fact,
except for the law. Anyway, as she
left, she told me not to go anywhere,
and wait for her to return. I did,
not knowing what else to do,
and not, already, wanting to break
her heart  -  as just another dumb
human, betraying need and true
emotion. I felt equally silly, her
having already put way too 
much a claim on me, ideals,
expectations, outlooks and all
that. Five, maybe ten, minutes,
she came back out. (I actually
noted the doorman peering out
by this time). She handed me a
small cardboard box  -  filled with
food. Some fruit, some cold cuts,
a sandwich, etc. Then, she gave
me a small note, said read it later,
and bent over a gave me a 'peck' 
on the cheek. And that was that!
The doorman saw her back in.
-
Boy, Blaise; I too felt 'engulfed.'










No comments: