Friday, April 12, 2019

11,680. RUDIMENTS, pt. 652

RUDIMENTS, pt. 652
(some go away, others stay)
In these days I'm writing
about now, I was in a state
of flux. Everything I had just
pulled myself out of, a year
or three later now was pulling
me back in. By this time, frankly,
I'd had it too with a lot of that
'country' stuff. It became grueling,
like a bunch of simpletons out
on the town  -  all their covered
dish church socials (which I
avoided like the plaque but
which my wife, using the young
son idea as a crutch (sort of),
wanting to expose him to some
religious grounding, insisted
upon. If I had to, I'd go and
grab some food and scoot out
the back door; all the while
making sure I was smelly (cow
manure odors were in and on
all men's clothes there) and
unkempt enough so none of
those goofy ladies would want
me around. Most men didn't
go to those things anyway, by
choice; but Sunday afternoons
were often lazy, and those
farmer guys were often
pretty submissive to their
wives. They'd stand around,
looking all abashed, in their
silly and cheap ties and jackets,
holding out a lemonade and
trying to grin broadly. The
ladies jabbered on, their
ginghams and funny blouses
taking them over. The men
really weren't cut out for this,
and I surely think they knew it.
-
Being uncommunicative, as I
often was, I never got bothered
too much by any of it. When
people began asking too many
questions, I'd step back even
more, and I had this yokel way 
-  which I'd almost perfected  - 
of telling nothing really by
just stepping into some weird
L'il Abner role. It actually
suited me, and there was a
lot of fun in it too. About the
funniest thing I can remember
actually was the time at one
of these things when one of
ladies brought in a tray or two
of cruellers she'd made. And
they were good, like the real
way, made with orange rinds
in them  -  well, one of the
ladies (poor lady's dead now
too, up in that graveyard I
talk about atop the hill where
my place was) got a look at
the trays and, responding to
the nicely-baked, crusty, dark,
cruellers blurts out, 'Oh, long
and hard, just like I like 'em.'
Well, here tell, you could
heard the silence AND the
gasps all the way from their
to Topeka and back again.
One or two of the ladies took
especial offense (can't imagine
what they were thinking!) and
I don't think they ever spoke to
that woman again. Never
knowing if she did this consciously,
or not, or just to be ribald with
a crack (no pun) but she sure
did it that day. Anyway, the
cruellers were real good, and,
like I said, made the original
way. You try going into some
dump  now, a Dunkin' Donuts
or whatever, and  -  if they even
have them  - their version of a
crueller bears no relationship
to a crueller at all. It's just a
wad of the same gum-crap
dough they make their donuts
from, just, well, just long instead
of round  -  and forget the hard.
It ain't there.
-
I got real tired of that sort of
Sunday goodness stuff. The
itinerant Minister we had there
was an imbecile, a child, in fact,
mentally  -  way far already into
his dotage. Every damn story out
of his mouth, sermon or not,
purporting to advance or buttress
'religion' as he saw it, turned on
childish junk about some simple
combination of Jesus, a lamb,
and a child. Nothing against
any of that; just not for me.
-
Some of those people, on the
other hand, thrived on that stuff.
I often felt more as would, say,
a doctor, looking in on some
odd case out along the edges 
his coverage area : listeing to
people talking, watching their
mannerisms and expressions,
and geaning from any of that 
some inklinf og the person's 
own state and condition. It was
often completely fascinating and
yet, at some other level, I was
still sweating new York City 
and the rest of that out of myself,
through my own volition, until
what was leaving me befan to
seem more valuaed and useful
to me than the things I was taking
in. Fried chicken dinners? Big
meals, the big meal of the day,
on a farmer's schedule, called
'Dinner,' at one pm, for perhaps
a break of an hour aan a half in
the middle of the afternoon, so 
that by maybe 4 you'd be ready
for it all to begin again  -  the cows
slogging their muddy ways back
to the barn, lining themselves up,
gathering again, for their 5:30
milking; except this time instead
of a.m. it was p.m. - A rugged,
strapped way of life, 7 days a week
and 365 days a year. Cows don't
take a care-for-me vacation. The
farmers always were complaining.
I used to think, as grumbly as they
often were, they stayed moderately
nice to each other so that, once or
twice a year maybe they could ask
that neighbor guy to 'tend the herd
while we run of for a few days.'
Everyone reciprocated each other
like that; older boys, teen sons, and
neighboring farmers and wives too.
In between all that, you realize, you
still have to, as a farmer, clean the
chain drops (where the cow shit
drops into at their rears as they're 
in their milk stalls; spread the
collected manure out onto the 
fields as your fertilizer  -  the
shit-cart got towed by a tractor,
and it was called a 'honey-wagon,'
for that smell I mentioned before.
Fences had to be fixed, checked,
or replaced, dead timber cut away,
silage distributed and the silo(s)
taken care off, corn and hay crops,
alfalfa, oats, Timothy grasses, and
corn seeds, planted, grown and then
harvested and collected and the
late Summer of haying season, 
with its mowing, baling, collecting
and filling the hay-lofts atop the 
barn....I'll stop now, there were a
hundred other things too, daily, 
weekly, seasonal; plus the salesmen
coming around trying to sell you 
a better grade of Pioneer Seed Corn,
or pesticides, or machinery parts,
etc. The whole thing was carzy-nuts.
Out on  a tractor sometimes most 
of a hot day, bakng in the sun, 
sweating, with the hay and grass 
grits sticking to you, your ass 
chafing, cheeks sore, back hurting, 
hands and arms sunburned, fingers
sore from the hay wires and string
bales, barbed wire tips on the fences.
tripping in gopher holes, gassing
up (again!) the damned tractor, 
one or the other (nobody had just 
one, much). Mechaical work, 
plumbing, roofs, sheds, barns,
garages, corn-cribs, houses and
the porches on the houses  - 
everything always needed tending 
and there wasn't much of that 
'call the plumber' stuff. Each
farmer had a workshop shed, 
or a work section of the barn 
with tools and pumps and
 everything else for all that 
maintenance stuff; they knew 
how to weld, braize,  cut, bend, 
twist, and fabricate most of
whatever was needed. There 
were usually piles of crap 
everywhere, some things back
from 30 years ago  -  stuff would
just sit a decade, until it was all 
of a sudden needed again for 
something, and POOF! there 
it was, at the ready. It was
amazing. It was just about this
time too, seemed every damned
fool around started wanting, and
getting, a snowmobile  -  Arctic 
Cat, or Polaris, or Ski-Doo. At
first it was clever, and OK. Then
they just got to stupid and too
many. Some guys started hopping
them up  -  hot-rod snowmobiles,
quite the thing. People usually
found ways in the Winter to
fit these things in, and buy them
too. One time, this Vietnam Vet
guy who lived out towards my
neck of the lands  -  he was also
a local cop down in Troy, mostly
abusing Route 6 people travelling
east west, petty pullovers and
pretty girls, as he'd have it  -  he
came over to me one day to tell
me of his plans to erect and open
a snowmobile shop -  sales and
repairs and all that -  on a plot
'just over yonder' from where he 
lived. he had plans for a cinder
block showroom, big paved lot, 
signs and lights and all. I freaked.
I said, as a last resort, and in fear
for my life, that I thought it was
a terrible idea, nobody would ever
come out here, there'd be no floor 
traffic and no customers, etc. (I was
stream-talking real fast). He remained
unconvinced, and nothing happened.
Although, all these years later, going
back, I see he or someone apparently
with that idea opened a snowmobile
franchise, right down there on Rt. 6
where it belongs as part of a long
standing tractor and farm machinery
shop that had always been there.
Which is a good thing, even now.
I never wanted it, for sure, in my
own sight-line nor area. They have
since, in 30 years or more, I see, 
punched in a small road instead, 
and  at that spot there are now
two medium-sized houses. See,
these people out there, they usually
have 4 or 5 kids, and as they grow 
up and out, people need places to 
live. Some go away. Others stay.

No comments: