Sunday, April 7, 2019

11,667. RUDIMENTS pt. 647

RUDIMENTS, pt. 647
('let the sounds alone : don't push them')
The resounding notion of
music was another of those
things, my personal ideas of it,
that faced enormous changes
once I got involved. Growing
up as a kid. the only exposure
on a steady and colloquial
basis I'd ever had with music
was the usual pap of the AM
radio dial  -  all that 'In the
Jungle the Might Jungle, the
Lion Sleeps Tonight' junk.
Ferrante and Teicher, and
Montovani, for goodness sakes
that crap was almost considered 
as high classical. Hearing 'Exodus'
was like going to church.  One 
time, on my  little transistor 
radio, I remember hearing
'There Is a Rose In Spanish
Harlem,' and being really
touched by what a song
could do to me. It was of
something strange; a city
place, of a 'red rose up in
Spanish Harlem, in the
street, it grows up through
the concrete,' etc. I was young,
but, wow! a song that addressed
the duality of the world that we
had : Nature and stone, the rose
versus the concrete, growth and
vitality against power and rock;
things that always tried shutting
you down and in. Yes! I got it!
-
That was one kind of music. On
the other hand? To have to listen
to the likes of Ella Fitzgerald
decidedly debauching something
like 'A Tisket, A Tasket,' that
was beyond the pale. Horrid.
Perry Como and his 'Catch a
Falling Star And Put It In Your
Pocket, Save It For A Rainy Day'.
God God, who's on what around
here? And what in the world
were they thinking? Weirdly
enough, one time, I must have
been 9 or 10 at the most, while
riding in the car with my father
on one of his seemingly constant
trips of delivering or picking
up a piece of furniture for his
reupholstering, I blurted out,
listening to the car radio which
he had on, 'Why do people always
sing about love?' And he said,
'Well, what else is there to sing
about?' I didn't tell him, but I.
could think of a thousand others.
-
Once at the Studio School,
besides the art push, there was
a heavy music presence, but not
in any way to do with music as
I'd ever known it. It was as crazy
as it was fascinating. Due to
the almost constant character of
Morton Feldman, his long, rambling,
quirky, eccentric, vociferous, deep,
learned talks about 'Music' within
the confines of his life and times
with the New York art and music
crowd of the 1940's and 1950's,
and all the requisite knowledge
and explication he brought to that,
brought a complete new light to
what one's 'ears' as it were, hear.
All those musicians and the people
he spoke of, they treated music in
a totally different way, globular and
momentous, frozen in space, long
and resonantly elongated, with
sense of enormous time unheard
of before. Notes two hours long.
Spaces. Drones. Clangs. Accidental
and ambient sounds. Dissonance.
All of that  with its own weird
notation, and outside, somehow,
of any real meter and time. My
head hurt just thinking about it,
let alone hearing it  -  John Cage.
Morton Feldman.  Feldman has
a book, called 'Give My Regards
To Eighth Street'  -  it's not a music
book, just a collection of his
recollections, a memoir of time
and place, with lots of comments
and writings about things. Now,
read after the fact, (published, 1975),
so very real to me and vivid. But
still strange. In 1951, Feldman had
written the score for a ten-minute
film of Jackson Pollock painting
and talking about his painting. The
music ran in the background of
all this. Now, two things, let me
point out. This music for this piece,
by Morton Feldman, didn't sound
anything like the Morton Feldman
music of 1967. It was more like
a loose, snappy jazz in the film.
In addition, I'll point out, the
Jackson Pollock at work here, 
shown 'painting' does not
and did not ever, intrigue me.
I really don't know where he
got his fame from  -  rather, let
me say  -  he got his fame from 
a deep, post-war sense of being
that we no longer share, and that,
because so much else has gone on
since, in painting, no longer seems
at all as a daring or a breakthrough
endeavor. As they say, 'You had to
be there.' Just by accident, then,
Feldman ended up knowing and
being amidst all those Studio
School people I was learning 
under. It was kind of very strange,
and a really large, large leap for
someone like me. Still dull and
battered from Avenel, and here
thrown in with alleged Masters
of the world of art and music.
On  a constant basis. Whew. 
-
As for me now, this all lives
on, within me.  You can say 
whatever you'd like about me, 
and you can have all your
great jobs and grand educations
and varied places, schools and
locales, but what I got from what
I did outshines it all. It's what
keeps me up until late each night
typing and writing, reading and
dreaming, drawing, painting,
and then doing it all over anew.
It's a very singular thing, and it
was all mine.
-
I'd never heard of music as concept
and theory. 'Some think the world is
made for fun and frolic; and so do I.
And so do I.' I recalled that being
some oddball little ditty we used 
to have to sing in early music 
classes. Who knew the depths
we have to sink to?
-
What was happening to me was 
that my concepts were being
broadened out, about everything.
Soon Art became Music, to me,
and vice versa, because I was
shown how they intermingled.
Nothing to do with Love, or 
that stupid, stupid 'pop' radio 
connection, (even though 'crap'
did take over the world). This
was all of another level, where
art and music even out and both
together enter some wilder 
half-world of creative presence
wherein you can't turn in out and
you dare not turn it off. It was
another place within, a language
that had been delivered whole and
intact. It was at that moment I
realized I'd probably never again
be able to speak to anyone about
'ordinary' things ever again. (Though
I did, amazingly, for years, but it
never quite made the grade anyhow.
I wasted a lot of time, and I sure
wasted the time of a lot of others).
With real maturity comes the
artifice of knowing when to say
'enough.' Goodbye to all that.
-
I had entered my other realm.
Whether it would have happened 
to me in Cleveland, in San
Francisco, Albuquerque, 
Philadelphia or someplace
in Maine is an unknown and
beyond reckoning now. I know
that and I little care. My 'self
had been taken over and my 'force'
had been empowered. The Art
experience, the 'Abstract' experience,
is an art without a metaphor. A
metaphor without an answer. It
deals with the same mystery as
religion  -  whatever you'd want 
to call it. That's why, today, when
I see it get belittled, become inane,
wine and housewife paint nights,
insincere murals and scrawls on
public walls, brought to you and
presented by men and women who
know nothing, I get incensed.
Frankly, it's too good for them.









No comments: