Tuesday, April 2, 2019

11,653. RUDIMENTS, pt. 642

RUDIMENTS, pt. 642
('can you even imagine?')
How often are we followed by
our pasts? The easy answer would
be 'always' - but perhaps that's not
true. Any number of people will
be found to say they've chucked
it all, moved somewhere, and
started anew, forgetting their
entire previous existence. At the
same time, a million people, at
any moment, remain trapped in 
their pasts. For good or bad. I'd
say, for myself, I'm trapped in
my past, solidly and forever,
but I feel it to be for the good,
as a miner is trapped in a seam
rich in ore, to be chipped at and
mined for all it's worth. So be it.
-
I never came right up to the point
of stealing cars, though others around 
me did. There were times I felt myself
getting to close to the disengagement
necessary to begin doing hard crimes
like that, and I lost interest. My primary
focus  -  as I've made clear here  - was
always in staying with my own work,
and anything that veered me off that
path (and things did, or tried) I'd
quickly recognize, and, fortunately,
do my zig back into my own lane.
And stay there, driving at my pace.
The last thing I'd ever expected
was to end up in the straits I was
in. This Andy Bonamo guy, my
of-the-moment supporter and
local bankroller, at one level
seemed to be a straight-edged
business-of-petty-drugs type, and
at the other end of the spectrum
a wholesale purveyor of criminal
steps. I always wondered about 
him; probably with some validity
too, seeing as how the entire mess
ended up. Can you say 'crash-land,'
boys and girls?
-
The weirdest thing was, back in the
day of easy-access, no alarm, cars,
was, once you 'stole' a street car,
through hot wiring, pushing in the
vent window (this stuff was all as
easy as pie back then), in the
middle of a crowded and vast
city, where were you going to go
wit your 'stolen' vehicle? The
only ways in or out were tunnels
and bridges, for one thing, easy
to be spied at if the word got out;
vehicle make, color, and all that.
Or, you'd just be stuck in some
hideous traffic, awaiting arrest. The
only real answer was a chop-shop,
local, quick, concealable, and easy.
-
From my little old perspective of
Avenel, forgetting all the other stuff
of seminary and hospital and all, the
family angle too, most 'of what I saw
came down to a refutation of that
little grade-school ethos that had 
been so naively plugged into my,
and all my buddies' and pals', heads
while growing up. The little flower
pot that School 4&5 ended up being
sure began growing some crazy 
blooms ten years on. I realized that,
other than the ABC's, there was
little validity to any of the simplified
versions of prattle we'd been exposed
to. If you look at the place now, as
indicative of 'Avenel' and 'Woodbridge'
education, it's all as apparent as a snake
crossing the road. The older of the two
school was three-floors, in the more 
rugged 1910 era of schools that was
place until that 1950's low, red-brick
and glass style of industrial schooling
replaced it. That too (that mid-American 
century style of school construction was 
up later by ridiculous additional touches,
like 'color' panels, inset, to supposedly
liven up the paucity of the red-brick
exterior. Even today, if you take a
look at Woodbridge High School
itself, you can only scratch your head 
and thing 'what sort of thoughts about
people and individuals did they really
have in the 1950's?' The place looks 
like the Sunshine Biscuit Factory
used to look out on Jernee Mill Road.
A bunker for soulless rejects; and
that was probably just the teachers!
In Avenel, Schools 4 and 5 were,
incredibly, juxtaposed right up 
against each other, and no one 
said a word! When I was in the
Biker World, later on, there was
a current 1980's/90's phrase often
used  -  about traffic jams, jumbles,
and mash-ups. I never liked the
phrase, didn't like the sound or the
image either, but it was 'cluster-fuck.'
As in, 'I don't like the looks of this,
it's turning into a cluster-fuck.' Well,
that was the general comportment of
Schools 4&5 butting into each
other, and we kids weren't even 
supposed to sense that there was
something amiss in the outpouring
of adult stupidity we'd be being
exposed to. Parents and adults
gave more thought to where
they'd be parking their cars than
to what sort of a bunghole 
environment they'd be dumping
their kids in for 7 hours or 
whatever it was a day, into. What
sort of respect did they expect
us to come away with?
-
Once I got to NYC and began
hanging with all these like
nitwits, and hearing their stories 
and tales of runaway woe, I
knew it wasn't just me. It wasn't
just Avennel and Woodbridge,
It was the entire God-awful
metropolitan area nation. Every 
kid I met was running from 
some version the same shared
nightmare, the jumbled, suburban
cluster-fuck of living, from which
we'd all fallen like some bad
sea-salt from a sticky wad of
damped-up salt in a shaker.
Doing crime seemed better
than doing (that) time. Being
a kid had been turned into a 
horror show to force one's way
out of, like a chrysalis being
torched by some blow-torch
idiot landscaper with a fire-blaster
clearing weeds with intent to kill. 
It just never stopped.
-
I knew the language pretty well;
at least in the sense of knowing
what I wished to say, in the
writing of it if not the saying.
I didn't speak much, because I 
was always inferior and felt 
nervous, and I think that's always
stayed with me, unfortunately to
the point now, in later life, where
it's simply transformed into 
paranoia and all the contortions 
that brings. Every so often, whether
in the Studio School or at some
weird loft scene or some gallery
scrimmage, I'd run across some
or a few ultimately smooth,
perfectly composed and in 
control, monied New Yorker types
and be stunned  -  by what I saw,
hell, by what I smelled. The 
girls were always spotless and
beautiful; the males, of whatever
intensity of maleness they may 
have possessed (I quickly found
out, yes, that there are and always
have been myriad levels of maleness,
approved and not, running the gay 
gamut from boys to men and girls
again. See Frank O'Hara and his
set for a fine example of that
scene), were usually faultless
as well. Sort of a 'deck shoes 
on an attic fan' type scene. Gay 
men were their own, gypsy-like,
early society, which of course,
by about 1969, blew all open
anyway.
-
I often had to just sit back and
ask myself what I was supposed
to be doing? My essential question
was most often how had I gotten
to that point? Jim Tomberg was like
my own Jackson Pollock  -  drinking,
pushing, snorting in your face and
fierce with the drink and dick. Any
of it was fair game. And I didn't wish 
to be Lee Krasner  -  even though
from what I'd learned of her she was
one equally fierce SOB, though with
a loyal and tender spot for him, to
push back at Pollock as much as
she got. I'd say, 'Jim, when does
this shit stop? What are you doing
now?' And I'd turn around and he
wouldn't even be there. He'd be
playing at being David Smith,
and all I'd see would be his hulk
behind a welder's mask and a crazy
blue flame with sparks flying. A
brazen, luck-filled drunk, welding
away like a madman. Can you
even imagine that scene?









No comments: