Monday, April 15, 2019

11,693. RUDIMENTS, pt. 656

RUDIMENTS, pt. 656
('now that's a paradox!)
My one day in acting school,
(I wasn't enrolled, had just
gone there with a friend to
sit in), the instructor told the
class what to do, and the first
guy who went up started some
real emotional-type outward
breathing. I was pretty confused,
and I saw some of the others were
as well, and the acting coach
pops up, screaming, 'I said
extol!! Not exhale!!' I figured
it could have been funny, in
comedy school. I never did get
to understand about spending
money to learn how to 'act' or
'perform' anyway. ('What's that
smell?'  -  'I said Perfume, not
Perform?')...but, really, they
were always concocting scenes
and scenarios too, in which to
play out their 'feelings' as if
it was real life in order to be
'better actors.' I never knew
about that one.
-
Everything I ever did, I just
'did.' Rolled right into things and
they always came out good, and
felt natural too. I, also, always
ran my life as an anti-jinx. I'd
never throw anything out,
thinking that once I threw
something out, even an old
check book, records and
papers,  I'd jinx everything
by doing so and then find I
needed to produce it and
would not have it. All strange.
The end result is and was that
I'm stuck here with piles of
crap I can't even identify any
longer. It just makes me foul
about all sorts of things  -  the
saving and not saving, the work
involved, all this damn typing I
do; I start getting surly about
it all, even to the stupid ways
the computer or keyboard
does things  -  I skip lines,
lose them, get weird spelling
and substitute words and all,
and it take so long to re-read
and be careful correcting and
properly checking. All that
sort of junk work drains from
the productive work, and I
feel like a clerk, looking for
problems. I just get worn,
It's all so self-defeating.
-
Here'a Illeana Douglas's take
on this (grandaughter of the
famed old-time actor Melvyn
Douglas. She was in Cape Fear)
same sort of acting class thing:
'When I was at the Neighborhood
Playhouse studying Meisner
Technique, the hardest thing
for me was called 'Emotional
Preparation.' You imagined you
won the lottery or your dog died
for some emotional fuel, and then
you begin the scene. Stanford
Meisner would look at you and
say, 'Start the scene again, and
this time come in crying and
make the bed.' You'd be standing
outside the door, trying to make
yourself cry, thinking, My mother
is dead! My mother is dead! No,
she's not. No, she's not. Finally
you'd enter, put your hands over
your eyes and fake-cry, and hope
your partner had something
better than you had.'
-
Everything is screwed up in 
that industry anyway  -  like
just the way they call the movie
come-ons 'trailers.' They come
first, before the movie, so as to
get you to want to see it; there's
nothing 'trailing' about them.
-
Everyone's got a trick, I learned.
Some people go into their scenes 
with an Etta James tune going in 
their head; others try to blank out 
and stay unphased, just using some
deep sort of detachment to keep
themselves unattached to the 
scene. It kind of ends up that, 
if you watch this stuff, you 
never  even know who or what 
you're  really watching. Jerry 
Lewis used to tell people they 
needed a flashlight, after first
asking them if they owned one.
If they didn't, he'd say, 'You don't
own a flashlight? You need one.
Everyone should have a flashlight.'
And he'd give them one. 'As an
actor, we shine a light into the
darkness, for others to follow.'
-
On its own level, I guess all
that makes sense, but I could
never stay interested. New York
City was like a city of actors - an
industry base, with all these small
playhouses, the larger and Broadway
houses, try-outs, readings, schools
and critiques at every turn. But little
of it was real. I don't know, it just
never worked. Smell of the Greasepaint,
Roar Of the Crowd, as Anthony
Newley once had it. Maybe it was
Roar Of the Greasepaint, Smell
Of the Crowd; but probably not.
In any case, whichever it was it
never led me anywhere, although
I did always enjoy the billboards
along the way in to the City, 
those which advertised plays. 
The language and the titles 
were always so odd and
invigorating  -  Rosencrantz 
and Guildenstern Are Dead; 
Oh Dad Poor Dad, Momma's 
Hung You In  the Closet and I'm 
Feeling So Sad. Those things 
were all very memorable
and sacrosanct to me.
-
One time I was sitting in a place
called the Paradox; I used to
go in there and order a bowl of
brown rice  -  they had really good
stuff  -  and it was like 75 cents and
came with sea salt, and soy sauce,
either or both. It was macro-biotic
food. I forget when it was, I guess
Summer '67. There were posters
all over the walls for many oddball
and local-produced east village
playhouses and theater groups, 
I espied a casting call banner for
a thing to be called 'Hair.' I came
pretty close to being interested, and
going for try out; having no idea
what it even was, but I backed off
when I saw all the smaller print 
about singing and the rest. That 
wasn't for me. The thing then about
Broadway and the rest, the bigger-
time theaters, was they'd by that time
really all gotten away from real
'theater'  -  plays and all  -  and it
had already mostly just been turned
into spectacle and musical junk
in which I had no longer any
interest at all. Like so much else,
it too had been deemed and turned
into 'frivolous' entertainment.
I hated all that  -  in fact, now,
with all that Hamilton crap on 
Broadway, they even use the song
and spectacle trash to purport to
'teach' and instruct their propaganda
into people's heads. No one dares
teach real revolution anymore,
nor enact it for the stage.
-
I used go to the Paradox, eat slowly,
and just sit there. Cups of tea were
free, or up to a certain point anyway;
let's just say they never made any
real money of me, instead affording
me single-seating for free, to just stay
and watch. It was always fascinating;
a close little place, quaint, real raw
food service, and super loose and
hip clientele.  I enjoyed that, and
got to a nodding acquaintance kind
of thing with a few of the people there.
Another place like that, in much the
same way, was 'Angelica's Kitchen.'
Over at the Paradox, every so often
some rube would come in and 
eventually ask about the name.
'Why is it called the Paradox?'
The one guy had this really lame
pet reply, 'We don't know, really,
and that's the paradox; you see?'
That used to drive me nuts.
(One time I asked for quackers,
and he said 'I said Paradox, not
pair of ducks!!'). I just made
that up. Gotta' go.










No comments: