Wednesday, April 10, 2019

11,673. RUDIMENTS, pt. 650

RUDIMENTS, pt. 650
('leaves more to mess around with')
I'm going to be brutally
honest here and take a
real heave : Life isn't
worth the doing. At the
time I was letting myself
be driven around by this
Jim Jankowsky guy, in
his Oldsmobile Vista
Cruiser (probably one of
the larger, more workaholic
but showy weird cars I was
ever in) my mind was
already made up that
Bentley Creek wasn't for
me. I set out, when all this
began, for mystery and for
darkness, to be getting
somewhere secretive and
hidden. All of Jim, all he
said and did, was the once-
and-for-all-immediate opposite
of that. Bentley Creek itself
was nothing more than a
little suburbia, in the country,
yes, but thriving on its
nearness to the border and to
the work and 'good' life that
a job in Elmira provided. It
irked me that people had
 swimming pools! Just like
Avenel. I always hated those
round, above-ground and
circular, balloony things,
and here they were too :
yard fences, decks and
diving boards, all that crap
arrayed alongside a roadway,
just a zip right up to Elmira.
And everyone was happy;
dumb-happy. Like Jim,
they'd beam and smile over
the cloud of cream in a cup
of coffee! Jim was all bright
and smiles, like about everything,
and, to boot, he got on with
my father like instant old mates.
Deer-heads mounted on his
walls. Taxidermed raccoons
and weird ground animals.
Everything dead and gone
except for Jim, who couldn't
be. It was enough to make
me nervous. I've already
explained the story here a
time or two, but the place
I did originally get my heart
set upon  -  a dark, damp and
dreary hovel, owned by a
stone-cutter about a hundred
years old, these two clunkers
pretty much ganged up on me
and decided it was unlivable
and NOT to be bought by me.
Even Jim, who would have
probably sold a corpse roller
skates if there was money in it,
sided with my father.
-
I never got too riled over that,
letting them have their way,
but I sure steered clear of
Bentley Creek for living in.
That's how I ended up with
the place I eventually did take.
It was still cheap, larger, with
lots of space, stuff and room.
It was, yeah, run-down some,
but I never let any of that
bother me. If I'd have even
taken old Jim back with me to
the lower east side he would
have known exactly what I
meant by saying it wasn't so
bad. Times later, I'd ride
through Bentley Creek, and
wonder just what it was that
threw me so off about the
place. And then, for a while
too, I had a co-worker and her
friend, both girls, who lived
there, before they moved
once  or twice more. I still
always did figure it was the
fact that I defined myself by
'rural runaway' and this small
town defined itself, in the other
direction, by pretending to be a
pleasant, dreary, suburbia. No
dead animals, and pools and
deck-chairs abounding.
-
What the heck any of that 
was about, I never knew. I'd
come out there for country,
and that was all I wanted. Yet,
at the same time, (as usual) I
was conflicted. All those New
York people with whom I'd just
had my dealings, they were
all about getting away too, but
for them it was all lined with
money : the Hamptons, or
Skowhegan, Maine, where 
there was a large Summer
art colony, or Fire Island or
the Pines  - all sorts of other
places I could have been.
Why I chose the path I chose
I couldn't specifically say.
The area of Woodstock and
Phoenicia attracts me now,
but back then didn't at all.
I always figured Catskill
stuff as junk enough for
Henny Youngman and 
his  brood. Now I know 
differently, of course  -  
long and deep history there,
and lots of mysterious places. 
But then, I didn't. It's kind
of, when you're at the stage
I was at, or just not at any
longer, like you take things
at face value, you accept all
what people tell you, which 
is what they want anyway,
and you end up being what
you're not. Your soul knows
that immediately, and slowly
starts fighting back, from 
within  -  the sorts of situations
that get stirred up to detour, or
delay, or even derail you  -
illness, cancers, really bad
stuff; throws the train right
of the track. That's your world-
being-soul screaming right back
at you. A symbolic version of
the loud voicing yelling:
'Repent!!' Gotta' listen.
-
All through my days, there have
always been things that threw me off;
like that one about the human tongue,
one part of it tasting sensitive for
sweet, and the other for bitter,
front vs. back, or however it goes.
Or like dogs and things, other
animals, seeing only black and
white, or in infrared tints; all
that crazy stuff used to throw
me, totally. So bad I had to
leave it alone for its deniability
by me. I never for one moment 
believed any of that crap, yet, 
over and over I heard it. Some
science guy would start harping
on  -  stupid stuff  -  like about
the moon or a planet, one side
always facing the sun and a
zillion degrees because of it, and 
the other side, freezing way cold,
so you couldn't live on either side.
OK, sure on that, but if the globe
of the thing is round, or spherical,
anything like that is going to
happen gradual  -  so, in some
gray-zone area, for some small
zone the temperature has got to
be OK, not real hot, hot real cold.
Anyhow, that's not your real
problem if there's no water or
air; so who really cares. I saw all
things differently : Nature doesn't
work like that  -  there are no, 
'zones'; there are no places where
black turns to white, in an instant.
We all live in a form of gray.
The people who know it all, by
their own insistence of course,
are basically full of it, and always
have been. No ship has ever fallen
off the end of the end of the Earth,
being flat. Look at Galileo and the
assholes in the church hierarchy.
The only thing that's flat about
any claims to a flat-Earth idea is
the flatness of people's perception.
Most people really DO live in  a 
flat, flat plane of linear projection, 
and that sucks. That's why cancer 
wards are full-up, and that's why
psychiatrists have customers, and
that's why the biggie-wiggies don't
shop thrift stores. Because they're
stuck! Flat-out, stuck!
-
That's OK with me; it leaves more
for us creative types to mess around
with and screw up their heads.
-
By the way, shopping like that for real
estate is very voyeuristic -  with Jim
Jankowsky, we drove endlessly,
and it took two days in a row,
through all sorts of his local
lands and places, up hills and
down valleys, looking at things,
seeing other peoples' homes, stepping
into places where I felt like an
interloper. He talked incessantly,
and he drove way too fast for my
comfort. He'd talk about cows and
sheep and pigs and plows and
tractors, barns, silos and silage too.
This was all way before the days of
cell phones and computers and all, 
so there was no stopping him,  and
no interruptions. Many of these
people he'd seen before, if it was a
place that was still inhabited, and
the game was sort of like, 'Here's
Jim, with another looker, hi how
are you, where ya' from? Jersey,
you say, oh wow, my great uncle
lives there.' With atmospherics like
that  -  I felt  -  there really wasn't
too much you could accomplish.
I liked Jim, but I saw the way he
operated, and I realized he 
represented, to me, everything that 
was wrong. Like Glen Campbell, that 
guitar guy and singer. He was a pretty 
masterful guitar player, a session man, 
part of what was called 'The Wrecking 
Crew,' which was a tight bunch of 
studio musicians who are on hundreds 
of records by what you think of as stars  -  
from the Monkees to the Byrds, The Beach
Boys,  Simon and Garfunkle, Herb Alpert,
and many more  -  who weren't worth
spit with their instruments and who,
for recording purposes, called in these 
guitar men, drum guys, and piano and
keyboard men, to make their actual
records. They themselves would just
go out onto concert stages and fake
it all. Anyway, I hated Glen Campbell,
but only after I saw a Life Magazine
spread, about 1970 or whatever, about 
him  -  all that guitar stuff and Wichita
Lineman and all that  -  was belied by
what I saw. He was the most normal, 
boring, 1960's family guy your ever 
imagine. His home and cars were
pure hokum; his tastes stunk; all he
wanted was pleasure, and his wife and
family looked like it too. A big zero,
but people put up with him for what
 he did. That's what Jim was like,
for me. I guess now I just
call it 'inauthentic.'













No comments: