Tuesday, April 23, 2019

11,707. RUDIMENTS. pt, 663

RUDIMENTS, pt. 663
(ride 'em hot, and ride 'em heavy)
McSorley's is an old-time bar in
the area of Cooper Union, lower 
east side. It was once, same as
Chumley's, a dairy. Into the 1920's
there was a McSorley guy who'd
walk his tethered cow around the
block or so daily. People watched
for him, he was a fixture, as was
the old cow and the daily walk.
It represents, if you get inside, a
real piece of an old New York City
that can only be found by lingerers
and those who haunt. Like me. The
stories within are deep and thick,
as are the mementos, oddball 
statuary, crusted dust and ancient
debris. They've been cited, in fact,
once or twice, and probably even
shuttered once or twice, for clean-up
and infractions. Joseph Mitchell
wrote a great piece, part of a book,
about McSorley's, and one of its
denizens too. 'Joe Goud's Secret,'
you just have to read. And, 'Up the
Old Hotel,' being Mitchell's finest, 
needs to be read too. McSorley's was
sternly a men-only establishment,
until about 1969, I remember well,
when women were begrudgingly let
in. It had less to do with the actual
facts of equality and all that, more to
do with the carpet-weave of NYU
and local Village 'activas' in their
burgeoning new rights movement.
Which, somehow, took many men by
surprise. Which was odd, since the
village had always had females who were
tougher and could probably drink-down
any man around. It all fit, and the
silly issue died down quickly.
-
Sometimes I sit and wonder why
I'm writing all these things down,
memorializing a dead time, a lost
time, an empty oasis, my life. Some
of these things are downright
embarrassing too, but I forge on:
It often seemed like everything I
thought of doing required money,
an item I've never had, and thus
these things went undone. There
were times when I availed myself
as much as possible of what things
were around me to operate on
someone else's dime, so to speak.
There were the years of the 1980's
when I managed, with the sometime
help of one or two others as well, to
utilize the Barron Arts Center, here
locally, for poetry nights, reading and
presentations.  Each was presented
in the aim of furthering my ideal of
bringing things TO others, that they'd
not normally have. It was never genius
stuff, don't understand me, but we
did a lot of good, all forgotten now.
I always wished to open a school
too, my own kind of academy. I had
it all planned out  -  books, my set
curriculum, plans, assignments, etc.
That never materialized either, nor
did the art-space and gallery I wanted
to open. As it turned out, all somewhat
perversely, now the only way this
stuff gets done is by the whims of
local in-place government. They 
have the cheap audacity, using tax 
money, to implement such things, 
call them 'Arts' this and 'Arts' that,
hire a bunch of flamer freaks to
run it, and it has nothing whatever
then to do with Arts at all. Nothing
progressive or even good is ever
brought out from or by it, just a
piss-fest of tax money turned into
antics and belittlement. In the case
here now of where I live, it's so far
over the edge as to almost defy
comment. A Mayor with a brain the
size of a caterpillar-turd manipulates
the strings, and the orchestrated (not
yet castrated) puppets dance.
-
It was apparent to me early on that
the American Experiment had failed
dismally. I was in an existential black
hole already by 1961. The Mayor and
Council even then was on its way to
being behind bars, and nothing of that
has changed. But what had changed
is the chilling fabric of the weave of
the sort of drivel people wear  -  in their
buying of suppositions and  pretense.
That's a major, major, failing, and
one any Founding Father would never
have assayed. America's own Tom
Paine said that each man has divided
loyalties as a citizen of his place and
of the United States. He stands in a
two-fold order of his loyalties. By
his rank in the one, he is made secure
with his neighbors; by the other, with
the world. The one protects his domestic
safety, supposed, from internal robbers
and injustice; the other his foreign
and remote property from piracy
and loss and invasion.
-
For myself, at this late date, I feel
that we have been let down, and
miserably so, by the efforts, against
our failures, of the successes of the
usurping powers that be. The nation
we are left with is a disgusting shambles,
and the local 'places' we live, in the
same way, have been destroyed. All 
that we are given are ignorant morons
professing procedure and Robert's
Rules of Order by which to run the
meetings which pull that wool over
out eyes. We are left with nothing, 
yet no on lifts a finger to resist.
Three blocks from my own home 
one of the usurpers lives and has 
the authority, for some ignominious,
inglorious, reason, to parade and
lord over the affairs of his fellows,
and get away with it all. Back in
Metuchen, in my day, I had a 1980
neighbor who called himself Russ
the Dane. His home was located
at a perfect cross-point of parkland,
lot depth, and corner crossing nearby
so that he was afforded privacy and
some grand American freedoms. They
would have a fire-pit burning, Summer
nights, banks and ukuleles, singing,
harmonicas wailing, all these great
into-the-deep-night open sounds of
transplanted southerners. Amazingly
enough, one day, a feud with some
neighbors across the street had their
lawn set afire. 'Jes a little sprinkle
of gasoline, all it took! It burns
itself out quick!'
-
In NYC, oddly enough, many of 
these very old, and even colonial 
era points could still be found; 
places where famous things had 
occurred  : the Tontine Coffee 
House location, the old India
Club, and Fraunces Tavern. 
The Slave Revolt of 1712-1719. 
These were all real places and 
sacred spots to me and I often
made the little treks on my own,
retracing steps I'd read about,
and envisioning whatever I could
of the other and old day. Ninety
percent of everything now was
gone, and people didn't think.
Completely unawares, there
was no one about.
-
I simply was living out of my
element, and it almost seemed
as if I was lost. One time just
outside of McSorley's there were
maybe 5 or 6 of us, with motorcycles,
drunk and toasted, trying actually
to ride. My friend, unfortunately,
come barreling through at that
moment on his motorcycle and
careens into mine, sending it, and
me, bit no harm, into the side of a
stretch limo there sort of double
parked, waiting for his little crowd of
revelers or bachlorettes or whatever,
to come back out. The driver was
a sort of half-conscious foreign
dude who was as perplexed as
me. Getting myself up to check
my motorcycle, he too comes 
over to check the car, and me  -  
the door was punched in some.
He shrugged and was ready to
let it all go claiming to be able to
make a report for fleet insurance
that it was some driving mishap.
Unfortunately at that time tomatoes
start coming down on us from a
nearby rooftop. Truly. Our noise
and commotion had annoyed the
tenement neighbors (who probably
heard such crap all the time) and
that was their way of telling us to 
get lost. Unfortunately, they'd
also called the cops who just then
arrived. In horrible condition,
I got myself together and was
told by one of our riders (a cop,
who often rode with us, as cover)
to beat it, and he'd take care of the
rest. He traded some cop favors, 
and got us all of the hook, and
I took off. Solo. Drunk. And at 
speed. I got to the Holland Tunnel,
which was traffic-deep, and inside
the tunnel I began riding up
between cars, but at one of the 
curves I managed to hit a car;
slight enough to remain up,
ding his front right just a bit,
and my own bike too. (This 
is all true stuff, trust me). I
took off between cars. Days
later I received a packet from
the Port Authority Police with
security camera photos, etc.,
purporting show my what 
occurred. The guy was from 
Cranford, about 70, and was 
a pilot, en route back home
from one flight place or another.
The license plate, yes, was
visible, and was mine, but I
made no claim of being the
unrecognizable, leather-jacketed
and helmeted driver on the
bike. Also true, I said I had
a number of motorcycles and
that I 'ran' a motorcycle club
and various people use them.
That may have been my plate,
but it wasn't me.
-
It was a real shot in the dark.
My local lawyer, Andrew 
Prince, said I was plum loco. 
But, it worked! Nothing further
ever occurred. Talk about
manipulating things, taking
facts and action into your 
own hands, and 'banjoing the 
ukelele play' of America; I'd 
somehow made myself into
a class-A jerk whiz. And I 
didn't even have to light any
lawn on fire.




No comments: