Monday, April 22, 2019

11,705. RUDIMENTS, pt. 662

RUDIMENTS, pt. 662
(at breakneck speed)
On time, I forget, I guess
it was late afternoon maybe,
just beginning the daylight
fade, a cold, December day,
a Sunday, absolutely 
nothing much going on,
I can't remember the exact
sequence, and probably
don't want to, but with me 
behind the wheel of my 
old Jaguar, and three others 
in the car with me, coming 
up from points south along 
the Jersey shore, Route 36,
as I recall, headed north,
back up to Avenel, I picked
up a guy and his girlfriend
in a Volvo sports car, a 144
I think they were. He was all
squirmy about seeing the Jaguar
next to him at a light, and
by means of whatever form
of osmosis idiot drivers use
I picked up his challenge 
to race home. I did it more
because I thought the girl
in his passenger seat was
pretty cool. We took off, and
all nerves put aside, and with
most lights in our favor, he and
I did a fair 103-105, as I recall,
that's miles per hour, speed,
in the course of getting home.
Long about the old Premium
Diner area I put my turn signal
on, letting him know that I was
breaking off, for Avenel Street.
He kept going, straight along,
towards Linden and north. We
were, all fair, above even in
the little push/pull speed thing
we'd just done. However, I
figured why stop now, and
I'd always wanted to see the
underpass at speed : we got
and took the underpass at a
fair 85-90. Solo. One mad,
careening, crazed, overweight
Jaguar Mark VII taking that
right-of-way like I owned it. 
No obstacles, and I got down to
Rahway Ave. in time to stop
and gather my senses. Of course,
by this time, (elapsed time overall
was, maybe 15-18 minutes), the
contests within the car, meaning
people, were all over themselves
in glee and the joy that only
impending doom can bring. 
But we got back to 88 Dartmouth, 
and without saying a word, we 
all got out. It was quite the 
event. It's how legends are made.
-
Ever since then, hearing of things
being done at 'breakneck speed'
has held a different meaning
for me, and most of the time it
has felt like I was careening,
myself, at a high rate of speed
and headed right for an obstacle,
wall, or abutment. I hold to the
premise that all occurrences, at
base, are the same. It's the driver, 
or the agent-mover, within the
action who makes any difference
about determining what the finish
is. To wit : I was a really good
fast-car driver, even when
outmatched, poorly braked, and
in the way-wrong weight-class.
The same went for me with
motorcycles too, even though
most of the time that was just
the happy softness of alcohol
propelling me along. My friend
Neil used to scold me on those
days when there'd be 10 or 12
of us, motorcycles, riding along
in Parkway or whatever other
road traffic we'd get. Often at
the head of the pack, or near
I'd start my lane splitting or
(what he'd call) 'thread the
needle' antics of skimming
between cars, etc., etc. His 
point, as he phrased it, was 
that I was good enough, and 
able to do that shit, at speed, 
but others would inevitably 
then begin to follow, who did 
NOT have the same adept 
ability, and SOMEONE
was going to die, crash, or
get maimed. Just goes to 
show. The funny thing was, 
we'd always be going over 
this, with beers in front of us, 
at whichever bar was our latest 
stop, and it was always all
over by then. Fortunately,
nothing ever happened  -  
because it would have 
been really awkward to
have had to have Neil,
looming over a crash scene,
say, 'I was going to mention
this at our next stop.'
-
Well, so much for all that.
I've always liked keeping an
even keel. Long time back,
someone said to me 'Don't
lose your cool.' I had no idea
what that meant. Then, after a
while I learned that what was
meant by it was not to let
the moment's situation break
you, put you awash in hot and
emotional actions. In a way
it was the same as me always
saying, as I do, abut 'distancing'
and remaining aloof or outside
of the heat. That was a good
lesson to get, early on, and
most especially helpful in stress
situations  -  much like speeding
and overdoing things. There
was another time, same vein,
I'd been out all day at the
Englishtown Swap Meet, and
races  -  motorcycle  -  with 
some NYC guy, a H.A. prospect, 
name of Frank, as I remember  
-  I remember the last name too, 
but it's not important for now  -  
nor do I know if he's dead or
alive or even still with them.
Last time I saw him he was
guarding bikes at their Third
Street headquarters, as prospect.
We ended up drinking the night
away at the old Pioneer Tavern,
in Iselin, and when it was time
for him to go, late, he asked 
directions for the Parkway,
Holland Tunnel, and all the 
rest. He and his girlfriend 
were going to ride out. We 
were all toasted, believe me.
I began telling the directions,
and then I remember saying,
'Oh hell, let's just go, I'll take
to the tunnel entry roads.'
Which we did  -  they got
on their motorcycle, and I
got on mine. Upon which,
once on the Parkway, I began
threading the needle, at the 
same time doing about 100.
Boiling in alcohol too. Frank
was, believe me, no slouch,
staying close up with me.
He was aghast, however, and
every so often I'd get an eye
bulge or hand motion to slow
it all down. I can remember 
every elapsed minute of that
time, as if it was now. Parkway
to RT. 22, and then in towards
the tunnel. We finally stopped,
pulled over, and Frank knew the
ropes from there. His girlfriend
simply uttered, 'Oh my God, I
think I came.' That's what a
manly fear does to certain
people. (Also probably the
vibrational thrill of a solid
mount engine).
-
I don't know why I just told
that tale, except to say that I've
always loved the story. It's
my considered belief that in
this life we are given nothing.
The only way we define ourselves
is by action. All we can do, by
our own acts, is select and define
our personal codes and meanings.
That is what we're given, by God,
as it were, with which to make
our creation work. James Joyce 
had it thusly: 1. God is the noise
in the street. 2. He holds my 
follies hostage. 3. The epicenter 
of corruption is sought. 4.God is 
in all things, but unseen.
-
All this starchy life gives us are
choices to enervate action, to get
off our duff and make change, 
do something. It doesn't have to
be, necessarily, good. It doesn't
have to be funny; it doesn't even 
have to be right. It just has to be. 
All those qualitative terms come 
later. Otherwise we're just following
ritual, for the sake of adherence.
I've done a lot of the stupidest,
most asshole things, you could
imagine. Half the time, looking
back, I don't know how I survived,
but here I am. The disguise of the
universe, yes, is in its silence
while we act the doer.









No comments: