Saturday, May 24, 2014

5398. REVELRY

REVELRY
Let this strike force remind you of the noise
of war, the sounds of battle, the scream of
blitzkrieg death. I have made many mistakes
 in my days and am not afraid to admit. What
you see now is but a remnant of what I should
have been  -  my promise is gone, and having lost
all that, I remain before you, humbled but here.
-
There are too many things to seek, and to seek
out any more would bring me to nothing at all. I
have broiled my clock, and it now drips a hot oil.
'Give me the splendid, silent sun with all its beams
full-dazzling.' Those words can stay, all these many
years later, I still know them. Flustered and amazed,
I stare up at the trapeze wire on high, just waiting
for something or someone to fly by. Is it me now
given the onerous job of holding this net, with its
huge hole rent in the middle? There is no joy
in Mudville; mighty Casey has struck out?
The line of cars is broken, each and all.
The people are walking home.


No comments: