Monday, May 19, 2014

5379. BY THE BIVOUAC'S FITFUL FLAME

BY THE BIVOUAC'S 
FITFUL FLAME
I am reading my Walt Whitman while campfire water
boils : cannonade, a fusilier, one of those assholes has
been shot again. Needing to cleanse a wound (I am not 
here making tea), the hottest water can be is best. I
watch the writhing man and wonder of the elements
of this nature I am amidst. How can any of this be?
The hottest that water gets is when it then transforms.
And is no longer water but this scalding steam that's
worse than flame. I've seen such men  -  tortured dead  -
by the exploding scald of locomotives boiled or cooked.
Even the vast wonder of skin flays red and dies when
reached by water in that form. So all this life? Nothing
then but a momentary and elemental form of what we 
are for now. Bring that beggar to me, over here; I'll cut
that wound and grind that bullet, remove it with this
steel blade knife end; all-I've-got anyway. He'll wince -
the dumb shit - and then only maybe die emptied of his
slug at least. I'll go back to reading my Walt Whitman 
again, not even written yet, but who cares. In times 
such as these, men falling around and smoke, there 
is no  time at all  -  and anyway, I wouldn't notice.

No comments: