Sunday, May 11, 2014

5347. INVESTIGATE MOUNTAINS THOROUGHLY

INVESTIGATE 
MOUNTAINS 
THOROUGHLY
It takes nerve to rattle steel; transience again, like 
the wind which passes these windows howling. One 
with the fleeting moment  -  a singular motto  -  is 
my watchword now. Tattoos in crimson and a gold 
never seen. I make a serious mockery of both Life
and Death; walking past either with my head held high.
-
Once, last year, on Route 6 in Pennsylvania, driving 
through some sad old farming town, in a coal-mining 
area in a coal-mined terrain, nothing left but broken 
hearts and steel, the stuff of candor and hurt, I saw an
old man  -  hunched and silent  -  slide past me at the
roadside stop. He had the longest silver hair I had ever
seen, and a beard like a mop as well. I thought to myself,
'There he is! He has investigated these mountains well!'
And then he moved on, unaware even of my shadow.
-
The tufted silence of humanity within, that is what we
each wear for a cloak  -  something knitted well, but
mis-stitched too. A razor-sharp error honed to perfection.
Different for us all, each within, singular and unknown.
Our mountains, our hills, and our heights. I knew what
I'd meant to say : 'Investigate mountains thoroughly.'

No comments: