Saturday, May 24, 2014

5396. SEVEN TIMES SEVEN AGAIN

SEVEN TIMES SEVEN AGAIN
I've got 49 things in this whole, wide world,
and I've really only now learned to count : my
kite string sings your watery oasis. The scent of 
pansy on a gay man's coat; lilacs and the rest
of the field. Looking down the awkward bar,
just now I can see twenty hearts. It's fleet-week
again, and I am a dead-man's slave. Outside
McSorley's, these guys in white suits - kids, really -
line up for their beers in a row. The crowd is awesome
deep, everyone clawing for something new. Dress Navies
and Ensign Toms, what care I for anything? Here is
how we do it; on these old east village streets, in these
old east village doorways, at the projects, at the end
of third; anywhere at all seems it will do. I hear, I hear
the echoes too  -  Frank O'Hara and hart crane singing,
together encased yet separated by years. No matter. I
was in love in 1924. I was in love again in 1956.

No comments: