Tuesday, May 13, 2014

5358. TO THE MAN WHO KILLED HIMSELF TWICE

TO THE MAN WHO 
KILLED HIMSELF TWICE
With the bearing of a cat he went about his business. Even as I
watched, he was polishing up his gun, cinching up his rope. Just
to wonder which way he'd use, I stayed. There was a candle
yet burning on the mantle  -  right near where he'd already
gutted his girlfriend. What was I to do. Like some 1940's
movie scene, he'd already cut the wires to the phone.
-
Was I hostage to this scene, or just my inquisitive heart?
I too had loved Sheila and knew her from way back when :
two kids on the sly, kissing in the dark above an old garage
stairway. Now I noticed her dead-self stank of blood.
The idiot at the other room's entry was madly exercising,
he said, his right to Death. His own (and hers, he'd forgotten 
to add). I wasn't about to argue with him. His proud and
purple shadow curled along the inside wall  -  he could
have all this anyway he'd choose. I just wished these
ropes around my wrists could be untied. (Or I'd still
be here as he too died)? My self-correction set in.
-
Shit! Just then I heard the blast. Good for that. He'd
done it with the gun and I'd be left alive. I'd really
be left alive! (And oh, hooray for that again)!

No comments: