Tuesday, May 13, 2014

5357. SIMPLICISSIMMUS

SIMPLICISSIMMUS
Grimmelshausen? Anyone remember? I, by contrast,
grow tired. The men have outlasted their airplane, and
the lightbulb, and all the other things their wiry imaginations
have created. Alas, do they not know, we are but time and
stone together, compressed. I cannot walk backwards  -  if
I could, I'd be with some Eve in the garden again. That is
just my way : looking to freshen up that ancient statue of
the minions of Diana, or the sparkling wits of the 'ladies-
in-waiting' brigade. At your peril, and all alone I'd be.
-
I have no wit. I've lost friends and gathered enemies.
Wasn't all this supposed to have been taken care of?
Altered? These problems solved? Now it all seems like
so long ago  -  back before machines could talk.
-
Thinking of it all now, I understand why I'm dazed.
I realize as well I can no longer ever remember which
grand river it was they altered so much : The Danube
or the Rhine. One of them, it was, a hundred and plus
years ago, they straightened and untwisted, and got 
rid of all those eel shacks and fishermen cabins.
-
Alas, like all them, I understand now I have nothing left.

No comments: