Monday, May 12, 2014

5351. IN THE MIND OF ORAL MEMORY

IN THE MIND OF 
ORAL MEMORY
I don't want to hear it again : 'He's gay'; 'He's really a
loner'; 'He's like some Jeff Wring in disguise.' We have 
to sit around in circles, listening to this grubface at the
campfire spitting words. Just as it was back at old
Camp Cowaw  -  stiff flag stretched out in the breeze,
boys sitting around at dusk, some clown with the Pledge
of Allegiance. For shit to all that, I'll have none of it.
-
I came from a foreign land and to that I'll return. Now,
fifteen workers on a loading dock at once, pushing 
cartons of 'Pantonime dolls', Made in China, Not Drop.'
Well, that's what it says. I haven't a clue and neither have
they. They're doing their work, for their pay  -  and why 
care anyway what the stupid box might say?
-
There's not a pretty dowager in sight. Should there be?
This is Washington Street, now  -  all dolled up, restaurants,
pretty girls out slumming, what do they think? They look
 so fresh and clean, like hookers but not obscene. I'd want
to do them all were the chance arising. Ah! Rising!
I should have taken the place of Benedict Arnold, and
I do think he had it right. Or was that Nathan Hale?
Nathan Lane? Forgive me, I forget  -  this oral history
stuff is murder on the mind, and I have but one life to give.

No comments: