Monday, May 19, 2014

5378. THE TWO DARK-HAIRED ONES

THE TWO DARK-HAIRED ONES
Carbine and carbonation  -  both regarding a sizzling
scene. The twenty-five men I've seen, down from the 
hills, are chewing and smoking tobacco; little care in 
this world for anything else once these military basics 
are taken care of. I can hear the breathing of the lame
guy on the floor next to me, down and sleeping. We
await some new directive : run, stay, flee or fight.
My gun is shiny. Here comes the night.
-
I once  -  long ago  -  used to read my books by the
lamplight of the dead of the night; Joyce and Mann and
Kafka and Sartre. Now all those guys are dead, many
new writers are female, I read little and  -  oh, I forgot
to mention  -  civilization has crumbled. We are the
marauders, right here where used to be Sixth Avenue,
tall buildings inhabited daily by pretty young things
working on high for something or other. Now it's all
gone. The street's used for fighting, skirmishes and
invasions. The idea of all that was : gone, gone, gone.
We live amidst an anarchy new. Men from those 
Harlem Hills are coming for me.

No comments: