Friday, December 27, 2013

4871. I WOULDN'T MIND HIS FACE

I WOULDN'T MIND 
HIS FACE (WWI)
(Paul Fussell)
Attitudes of decrepitude; sock-dolls and fiery
deaths. 'We heard another matinee; we heard 
the maniac blast.' And, oh yes, the moment was
an integer of pure engineering, a farce corrupted
by lies and logic : 'this last bullet won't kill; the
lucky ones die, the unlucky get maimed.'
-
Now, I myself harbor an attitude like this :
'I am not you, nor am I your brother. I would
just as soon kill you  -  now and here  -  for
trying to steal from me than ever have to vote
for you again. Let me walk you, please, back
into these deadly trenches so I can see you die.'
-
Wilfred Owen, Wilfred Owen : 'Beauty's bearing
or muse of mounting vein; all, in this case, bathed
in high hallowing grace.' It becomes impossible to
salvage any life from this, when the ringed circle of
a flying death is landing down around each neck.
-
And I have run for miles to escape you. Silver doom.
Siegfried Bastard Lying Fool. Last in, first out. Dying
men tell no tales. 'You rolled;  I watched their hot
hearts fling flames....' I wouldn't mind his face, if I
could only see it staring up. We heard the maniac blast.

No comments: