Tuesday, December 10, 2013

4823. NEW

NEW
(a N.Y. morning, aug. 1967)
My rambunctious hustle : shatters glass
and breaks eggs, blows down doors and
knocks over walls. It can not be stopped,
and won't. Every whore and process server
along 27th street's angry dives and curves will
let me in  -  the midnight knows my name, the
coroner carries my number  -  and  -  engraved
like an Auschwitz memento on my old Polish friend's
arm, our survivor memories will keep us going. In
the early dawn of mornings long past, he used to
serve me coffee and gruel for a quarter. Lazslo
never really talked, just ran his little corner diner and
cried over his life : fucked-up Nazi numbers on his
forearm, and all the miserable moments that went 
with them.Twenty-five years later, there he was,
by himself, with no one, and never said a word
with so much to tell but no one to tell it to. 'Cept me,
but I wasn't interested then, nor was he interested in 
me. He's dead now : they buried that poor man in 
silence, on a small rise in one of those endless New 
York cemeteries that dot the Bronx. Or somewhere.
Me? I remember the little things, and now I wish him
back. Ten thousand things I want to know, with every
question comes another fact. With every question
comes still another fact.

No comments: